It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What I hope for the movie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:21 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
I hope they don't cut any important scenes for Mamoru, Usagi, and the inners. I hope the style will be a bit mature r .Also Chibius , and her scenes .The movie format might work.

Post subject: Re: What I hope for the movie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:32 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
What I find funny is that people seem to take for granted that movie = better animation and bigger budget.
No way José. This is the cheapest and fastest way to end with the saga. I bet there will be only one movie for Stars ( they have to produce the 5 arcs).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:41 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I hope they change their minds and will do a TV series lol. Seriously, I am surprised they chose to adapt the Dream Arc into a movie. Probably Crystal is not successful enough in Japan to produce another series.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:43 pm 
inactive
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
I hope they change their minds and will do a TV series lol. Seriously, I am surprised they chose to adapt the Dream Arc into a movie. Probably Crystal is not successful enough in Japan to produce another series.

Well it is clearly not. The problem is they have done nothing to make Crystal a big hit so I don't know what they expected. Well I do know, they expected fans to chew anything they give us, even if it was garbage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:46 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
GuerreroLuna wrote:
SignorinaTsukino wrote:

Well it is clearly not. The problem is they have done nothing to make Crystal a big hit so I don't know what they expected. Well I do know, they expected fans to chew anything they give us, even if it was garbage.

What you mean by garbage ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:48 pm 
inactive
imaginationgirl wrote:
GuerreroLuna wrote:
SignorinaTsukino wrote:

What you mean by garbage ?

Half of the episodes of season 1.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:49 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I like season 1 th only problum was episode 12 c.Either than that it was decent, and alright

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:01 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Animation aside, season 1 was good until episode 10 when they shoehorned the SenshixShitennou nonsense. After that, the pacing and plot just devolved into a joke. The Black Moon Arc was a bit better, but by then I was so jaded from the bad storytelling and animation, and so exhausted by the terrible schedule, that I lost interest. However, the show must have done well enough at the point because it moved from an internet series to a TV series. Apparently Season III, despite being a lot better than Season 1/2, did poorly, and so we're stuck with two films for the Dream arc.

When will the literal best arc of the manga finally get justice?

At least the 20th/25th anniversary has given us the revival of the musicals. Crystal continues to be a disappointing mess, but at least the musicals have been handled well (apart from there being no official cast recordings...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:01 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I hope the action would be a mix of stock footage and real time attacks this time. ^_^

Hopefully its as creative as the SuperS movie, R movie or episode 124.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:28 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I've got not sympathy for anyone after all the fans complaining it's too expensive to buy $30 Viz DVDs but it's perfectly ok to buy a $200 complete series boxset that's never going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:45 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
At least the 20th/25th anniversary has given us the revival of the musicals. Crystal continues to be a disappointing mess, but at least the musicals have been handled well (apart from there being no official cast recordings...)

Yeah, no soundtrack CDs for the musicals is very disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:51 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
It would be cool if the movie's dvd/blu ray contained the exam battles as special features. I can dream, right? :mischief:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:12 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I've got not sympathy for anyone after all the fans complaining it's too expensive to buy $30 Viz DVDs but it's perfectly ok to buy a $200 complete series boxset that's never going to happen.

Have you ever noticed that you're more of a whiner than everyone you accuse of whining?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:23 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
kevoso96 wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

Have you ever noticed that you're more of a whiner than everyone you accuse of whining?

lets not start insulting one another, I get that everyone is upset over the news but lets not take it out on each other ok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:31 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Since Chiaki Kon is returning as director, I'm hoping the Dream movies will continue to develop a romantic relationship between Chibiusa and Hotaru and make all the Chibiusa x Helios shippers seethe :mischief: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:33 pm 
inactive
So we can all accept there won't be any side stories animated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:33 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Prince Rose wrote:
lets not start insulting one another, I get that everyone is upset over the news but lets not take it out on each other ok

^This!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:55 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
So Toei has serious trouble adapting the Dream arc into a full lenght anime. :googly:
Last time it was bad, now there will be just... nah.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:23 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I actually sat down and read the manga and thought about the logistics of how they'd be able to translate the first half, which is episodic in nature, and make it into a feature film. I think it's actually doable as long as they rearrange the scenes and aren't bogged down by a panel-by-panel adaptation. And I think they can do it without cutting anything incredibly vital.

Warning: this is incredibly long and a bit fan wanky, but here is how I'd probably arrange the movie:

Spoiler: show
This is all assuming the first movie is AT LEAST 1 hour and 30 minutes long.

The movie would adapt the first chapter panel-by-panel (I'd remove a few scenes like Mamo-chan buying the kaleidoscopes). Usagi and Chibiusa see a vision of Pegasus during the Solar Eclipse. Chibiusa dreams of Pegasus and can't go back home. Usa and Chibi get their powerups and defeat the lemures and after they detransform they switch ages.

The movie then adapts the first half of Act 40 - Dream 2 almost scene by scene (the hospital scenes, Chibiusa going back home and tricking Ikuko, getting visited by Pegasus, Chibi!Usagi taking care of Mamoru) until it gets to Teen!Chibiusa alone on a swing.

This is where the film starts to depart from the manga. While at the park, Teen!Chibiusa gets targeted by the Lemures. She tries transforming into Super Sailor Chibi Moon but fails. Pegasus calls out to Mamoru and Usagi and lets them know Chibiusa is in trouble. They run out. Usagi and Chibiusa transform together (no stock footage this time as their ages were switched) and reverse PallaPalla's spell. Sailor Moon uses "Moon Gorgeous Meditation" and defeats the Lemures herself.

Chibi Moon then realizes that Usagi is the maiden Pegasus is searching for and runs off crying until Pegasus appears before her, kisses her and reveals he's Helios. This is exactly like the manga.

We see the Quartet create the Amazon Trio and the next 40-50 minutes focuses on the Inners.

Cut to the next day, Usagi, Ami, Rei, Makoto and Minako walk together from school and stop in front of the Dead Moon Circus and decide they're going to visit it the next day. (You can probably include that funny scene where Minako suggests that Rei should find a boyfriend to work as a servant.)

While Makoto walks back to her apartment she bumps into Chibiusa who asks her for advice (about Helios). She invites Chibiusa to make dinner with her and they go grocery shopping together. Makoto meets Hawk's Eye who reveals he owns a gift shop at the Dead Moon Circus and gives her an Amazon Ring. While walking out of the store, and looking at her new ring, Makoto thinks about her dream of opening her own store and her "secret" dream of being just like Haruka and Michiru.

Cut to the Hikawa Shrine, the sun is setting and Rei is closing shop. We finally get to meet Grandpa Hino and we get that adorable flashback of little Rei meeting the crows and naming them Phobos and Deimos.

Night time, and we're now at Ami's apartment. She is researching the Dead Moon Circus on her computer thinks about Setsuna. Ami's mom appears and she gives her a postcard from her father which has a picture of an exotic fish.

I think you guys see what I'm doing here... I've basically rearranged all of the scenes from the Inners' chapters.

That night, Usagi visits Mamoru who is getting sicker and tells Usa he can't join their trip to the Dead Moon Circus tomorrow.

The next day, Usagi, Chibiusa, Ami, Rei, Makoto and Minako go to the Dead Moon Circus to investigate. They split up. Usagi, Chibiusa and Minako go to see the performance together. Ami goes to the aquarium, Rei visits the mirror house and Makoto decides on meeting Hawk's Eye at the gift shop.

While at the aquarium, Ami sees a fish that looks exactly like the one on the postcard her father sent her. Suddenly, in the reflection of the glass she sees an illusion of her mother kissing another man and is attacked by Fish Eye.

In the mirrorhouse, Rei sees an illusion of herself as a child. This scene plays just like the manga out with minimal differences.

Makoto visits the gift shop and meets with Hawk's Eye. Hawk's Eye makes tea for Mako, and under the influence of the ring she reveals to Hawk's Eye that she feels like she's been putting off her dream. I think y'all see the pattern here....

Just when the Trio seems to have the upper hand with Ami, Rei and Makoto - their respective Sailor Power Guardians (Phobos and Deimos for Rei) appear to save them. Each of the Sailor Power Guardians (and the human crows) give the girls a pep talk and their Sailor Crystals almost simultaneously. Ami, Rei and Makoto shout out their transformation via split screen and we get a glorious looking group henshin that mixes together 2D and 3D in some incredibly beautiful way. After remembering the words of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto, they then use their new weapons and attacks and they each defeat one of the Amazon Trio. I like this idea because it emphasizes their bonds as a team and it's a nice mirror to how Haruka, Michiru and Setsuna will receive their power ups in the second film. This also works as the climax of the film. At the same time, by arranging the scenes in a new way, you don't lose that character development.

Cut to, Usagi, Chibiusa and Minako watching the performance and suddenly Chibiusa's bell reacting. The girls realize that Mamoru might be in trouble and the two run off to his apartment. Usagi and Chibiusa arrived already transformed and they defeat the Lemures.

We're now in Act 43 - Dream 5 Venus Dream territory. Helios appears and does his exposition dump. Mamo's sickness is tied to Nehellenia's curse. Blah blah blah blah.

From then the film adapts Venus' chapter in a much more straightforward manner, but I think ends with Minako deciding that she's going to infiltrate the Dead Moon Circus on her own rather than the actual cliffhanger from the manga. I think including all of Act 43 would be too much at this point.

After the credits, we see a teaser of the Outers for the next film. I'm not going to go into the second film since at that point, the entire thing takes place within one day and so it's much easier to fit into a film w/ minimal changes.

Obviously, the end result probably won't be anything like my ideas, but I did this exercise just to show it's possible to streamline the manga without cutting too many vital scenes and losing the flavor of the manga. I think the only scenes that I couldn't really fit in were Rei's archery, Makoto and Chibiusa cooking together and a few of the comedy scenes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:43 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Most likely they'll just do a compilation movie where it'll still be more or less a 1:1 adaptation, rather than taking any major creative liberties to turn the manga into two cohesive feature films. I think your ideas about how the Dream arc could be rearranged to work as two feature films are great; I just don't think that's what they're planning. We'll see what happens.

Actually, isn't there supposed to be a total solar eclipse next month? Maybe we'll get another piece of news then (like confirmation of who the writer will be, character designer, etc).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:57 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Most likely they'll just do a compilation movie where it'll still be more or less a 1:1 adaptation, rather than taking any major creative liberties to turn the manga into two cohesive feature films. I think your ideas about how the Dream arc could be rearranged to work as two feature films are great; I just don't think that's what they're planning. We'll see what happens.

Actually, isn't there supposed to be a total solar eclipse next month? Maybe we'll get another piece of news then (like confirmation of who the writer will be, character designer, etc).

Thank you! I suspect you're right. I think as long as they make the run times longish for both films, a compilation film will be just fine, but it would be nice if they got more creative and didn't slavishly copy the manga... But considering their track record, I'm not too hopeful they'll take that leap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:47 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:
I actually sat down and read the manga and thought about the logistics of how they'd be able to translate the first half, which is episodic in nature, and make it into a feature film. I think it's actually doable as long as they rearrange the scenes and aren't bogged down by a panel-by-panel adaptation. And I think they can do it without cutting anything incredibly vital.

Warning: this is incredibly long and a bit fan wanky, but here is how I'd probably arrange the movie:

Spoiler: show
This is all assuming the first movie is AT LEAST 1 hour and 30 minutes long.

The movie would adapt the first chapter panel-by-panel (I'd remove a few scenes like Mamo-chan buying the kaleidoscopes). Usagi and Chibiusa see a vision of Pegasus during the Solar Eclipse. Chibiusa dreams of Pegasus and can't go back home. Usa and Chibi get their powerups and defeat the lemures and after they detransform they switch ages.

The movie then adapts the first half of Act 40 - Dream 2 almost scene by scene (the hospital scenes, Chibiusa going back home and tricking Ikuko, getting visited by Pegasus, Chibi!Usagi taking care of Mamoru) until it gets to Teen!Chibiusa alone on a swing.

This is where the film starts to depart from the manga. While at the park, Teen!Chibiusa gets targeted by the Lemures. She tries transforming into Super Sailor Chibi Moon but fails. Pegasus calls out to Mamoru and Usagi and lets them know Chibiusa is in trouble. They run out. Usagi and Chibiusa transform together (no stock footage this time as their ages were switched) and reverse PallaPalla's spell. Sailor Moon uses "Moon Gorgeous Meditation" and defeats the Lemures herself.

Chibi Moon then realizes that Usagi is the maiden Pegasus is searching for and runs off crying until Pegasus appears before her, kisses her and reveals he's Helios. This is exactly like the manga.

We see the Quartet create the Amazon Trio and the next 40-50 minutes focuses on the Inners.

Cut to the next day, Usagi, Ami, Rei, Makoto and Minako walk together from school and stop in front of the Dead Moon Circus and decide they're going to visit it the next day. (You can probably include that funny scene where Minako suggests that Rei should find a boyfriend to work as a servant.)

While Makoto walks back to her apartment she bumps into Chibiusa who asks her for advice (about Helios). She invites Chibiusa to make dinner with her and they go grocery shopping together. Makoto meets Hawk's Eye who reveals he owns a gift shop at the Dead Moon Circus and gives her an Amazon Ring. While walking out of the store, and looking at her new ring, Makoto thinks about her dream of opening her own store and her "secret" dream of being just like Haruka and Michiru.

Cut to the Hikawa Shrine, the sun is setting and Rei is closing shop. We finally get to meet Grandpa Hino and we get that adorable flashback of little Rei meeting the crows and naming them Phobos and Deimos.

Night time, and we're now at Ami's apartment. She is researching the Dead Moon Circus on her computer thinks about Setsuna. Ami's mom appears and she gives her a postcard from her father which has a picture of an exotic fish.

I think you guys see what I'm doing here... I've basically rearranged all of the scenes from the Inners' chapters.

That night, Usagi visits Mamoru who is getting sicker and tells Usa he can't join their trip to the Dead Moon Circus tomorrow.

The next day, Usagi, Chibiusa, Ami, Rei, Makoto and Minako go to the Dead Moon Circus to investigate. They split up. Usagi, Chibiusa and Minako go to see the performance together. Ami goes to the aquarium, Rei visits the mirror house and Makoto decides on meeting Hawk's Eye at the gift shop.

While at the aquarium, Ami sees a fish that looks exactly like the one on the postcard her father sent her. Suddenly, in the reflection of the glass she sees an illusion of her mother kissing another man and is attacked by Fish Eye.

In the mirrorhouse, Rei sees an illusion of herself as a child. This scene plays just like the manga out with minimal differences.

Makoto visits the gift shop and meets with Hawk's Eye. Hawk's Eye makes tea for Mako, and under the influence of the ring she reveals to Hawk's Eye that she feels like she's been putting off her dream. I think y'all see the pattern here....

Just when the Trio seems to have the upper hand with Ami, Rei and Makoto - their respective Sailor Power Guardians (Phobos and Deimos for Rei) appear to save them. Each of the Sailor Power Guardians (and the human crows) give the girls a pep talk and their Sailor Crystals almost simultaneously. Ami, Rei and Makoto shout out their transformation via split screen and we get a glorious looking group henshin that mixes together 2D and 3D in some incredibly beautiful way. After remembering the words of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto, they then use their new weapons and attacks and they each defeat one of the Amazon Trio. I like this idea because it emphasizes their bonds as a team and it's a nice mirror to how Haruka, Michiru and Setsuna will receive their power ups in the second film. This also works as the climax of the film. At the same time, by arranging the scenes in a new way, you don't lose that character development.

Cut to, Usagi, Chibiusa and Minako watching the performance and suddenly Chibiusa's bell reacting. The girls realize that Mamoru might be in trouble and the two run off to his apartment. Usagi and Chibiusa arrived already transformed and they defeat the Lemures.

We're now in Act 43 - Dream 5 Venus Dream territory. Helios appears and does his exposition dump. Mamo's sickness is tied to Nehellenia's curse. Blah blah blah blah.

From then the film adapts Venus' chapter in a much more straightforward manner, but I think ends with Minako deciding that she's going to infiltrate the Dead Moon Circus on her own rather than the actual cliffhanger from the manga. I think including all of Act 43 would be too much at this point.

After the credits, we see a teaser of the Outers for the next film. I'm not going to go into the second film since at that point, the entire thing takes place within one day and so it's much easier to fit into a film w/ minimal changes.

Obviously, the end result probably won't be anything like my ideas, but I did this exercise just to show it's possible to streamline the manga without cutting too many vital scenes and losing the flavor of the manga. I think the only scenes that I couldn't really fit in were Rei's archery, Makoto and Chibiusa cooking together and a few of the comedy scenes.

For the most part i like your ideas and who knows, they might do that and it would be a good way to mix it up without ruining the plot of the manga. However i would do few changes

First: Id rather see all the transformation separately because i think the movie ones might be higher quailty and it would be a waste to throw them all together. And they wouldnt take that much time (specially assuming we wouldnt see them all in a row). I just checked the time of the transformations from act 27 part 2 where Usagi, Chibiusa, Ami, Rei, Makoto and Minako all transfrom in a row. Its 3 minutes and 15 seconds. Given that Usagi and Chibiusa have a double transformation in the manga it would be under 3 minutes so not that much. Also we wont see Inners transform in the second movie, instead we'll get outers (another reason why i want separate henshins - to finally see Saturn and Pluto aswell)

My second change would be the ending: id want them to do act 43 till the end and then also Venus part from act 44 where she transforms and kills the duo. Then the amazones would catch them in their vines. At the end we see Inners being tortured and Chibiusa seeing Usagi being sick aswell.

Then 2nd movie starts with the act 44 outers life as sort of prolouge part for the movie. Then (after outers "re-awakening") we see the title (any intro song) and then the action starts right from act 45 (outers appear to save the day)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:55 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Looking at the manga I realize that there only 11 chapters . They could have the first six chapters be a movie, and had the last few chapters be the second . I also think maybe this would been better . I mean if they did had a series they had to split acts . Even then they had to add stuff like the loger transformations, and Usagi acting like more of an idiot i battle. :unsure: There not going to diverge tha much . Its probably be more like panel, and panel adaption.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:56 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
It's going to be movies? Oh no...please just give us another regular season.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:27 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
doctorwho29 wrote:
It's going to be movies? Oh no...please just give us another regular season.

Yes it's going to be 2 movies and the fandom has been in chaos for the past 24 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:45 pm 
inactive
I feel like there's only like 10 people (including myself) that we are actually intrigued by the idea of the movies. I feel like it could have a very nice outcome. It might be even better than a new season. Just to shake things up a bit. We've already seen a handfull of Sailor Moon adapted as a serial. Let's see how a canon movie works out. Dragonball even got a new season out of it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:04 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
I like the idea of the movies myself. I hope they release it in theatres cuz I'm not a huge fan of Crunchyroll and it's ads and constant buffering.

We stand in awe at that which cannot be seen - Rukia Kuchiki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:26 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Now that I calm down i'm willing to give the movie things a chance . It could really work

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
I heard the movies would be about 2 hours long. If the two films were two hours long it would the equivalent of 11 episodes (minus the aprox. 2minutes of op/ed).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:33 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Yes, a lot is riding on how long these films are going to be. It would honestly be best for them to push for 2 hours each, but knowing Toei...I feel like this isn't likely to happen.