Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Petition to make Season 4 into episodes.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:30 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
No need to worry about that...

https://twitter.com/aers00/status/716953668860448768 (April 2016)

Quote:
http://natalie.mu/comic/pp/sailormooncrystal02/page/3

She's the director who returned for these films so the new transformations shouldn't be CG.

That's wonderful news NJ. :keke:

You either go pure 2D or pure 3d. Nothing in between. ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:42 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Cierra Moon wrote:
I haven't read that far into the manga, but why three parts instead of two? From what I heard, this arc has about 12 episodes worth of storylines to cover. Wouldn't two be enough?
Adding up the combined length of six 22 minute episodes not counting the theme songs, they would need at least 132 minutes to properly adapt a movie as long as six episodes. Is Toei willing to make a Sailor Moon movie that long?

Actually, one episode is about 24 minutes long. Minus opening (1,5 minutes), ending (1,5 minutes), about 1 minute flashback to the previous episode, title card, eye catcher and preview, we have only 20 minutes of the actual episode left.

The dream arc has 11 acts in the manga, so we can guess a series would have about 11 episodes.
11 episodes x 20 minutes = 220 minutes = 3,6 hours.
This means each movie could have a runtime of 108 minutes (excluding 1 opening and 1 ending...).

And I think they'll show each transformation only once, so we have even more minutes for the story.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:30 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
POKIWOKI wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
Cierra Moon wrote:
I haven't read that far into the manga, but why three parts instead of two? From what I heard, this arc has about 12 episodes worth of storylines to cover. Wouldn't two be enough?
Adding up the combined length of six 22 minute episodes not counting the theme songs, they would need at least 132 minutes to properly adapt a movie as long as six episodes. Is Toei willing to make a Sailor Moon movie that long?

Actually, one episode is about 24 minutes long. Minus opening (1,5 minutes), ending (1,5 minutes), about 1 minute flashback to the previous episode, title card, eye catcher and preview, we have only 20 minutes of the actual episode left.

The dream arc has 11 acts in the manga, so we can guess a series would have about 11 episodes.
11 episodes x 20 minutes = 220 minutes = 3,6 hours.
This means each movie could have a runtime of 108 minutes (excluding 1 opening and 1 ending...).

And I think they'll show each transformation only once, so we have even more minutes for the story.

Well thats sounds amazing. I hope Toei does this. That means each movie will be about one hour and 48 minutes. (almost two hours). That'll give them enough time to get all the content in there. However, knowing how cheap Toei has been in the past, they might just make it about a little over an hour. Does it cost more the longer a movie is?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:36 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
While its true that every episode is about 20 minutes its also true that not every act requires 20 minutes. In fact all three seasons extended episodes in some ways

The most signifcant is S1. Very often they've added extra non-manga material. Just from the top of my head
-Manga act 5 has no conversation between Beryl and Nephrite, there is no actual battle between the mannequin an senshi, there are no Makoto's memories, there is no Usagi's speech about real love.
-Act 6 has no battle between Inners and Zoisite at all, Beryl doesnt show up, doesnt introduce herself to the senshi, there is no Usagi attacking Beryl, Zoisite getting hurt. The whole conversation between Usagi and Tuxedo also was extended.
-Act 7 had no Mamoru-Zoisite confrontation, Ami wasnt at the battlefield at all. Overall the entire battle was very short in the manga, it was extended a lot in Crystal
There's way more
Season 2 had less new fluff but they still extended some battles (for example vs Wiseman in act 25, vs Demande in act 22 or vs Koan in act 15). Both seasons also used transformations to extend the time. Specialy the early act but not only (see act 11, 15, 23)

Season 3 extended some of the battles (vs Cyprine, vs Kaolinite or vs Tomoe) and in the last few episodes they used recaps to extend the episodes (sometimes even up to 3 minutes). Outside of act 27 part 1&2 they didnt really use the transformations all that much. Instead they used lots of stock footage attacks. They're a lot shorter than transformations so they dont use tha much time but still.

Overall i really dont think each act needs those 20 minutes. They can use their time a lot more efficiently by not having the need to extend the episode to reach the time limit. Of course im sure they might want to extend some battles regardless, because those always need a bit more time in motion than few panels of the manga but that shouldnt affect the movies that much.

Im pretty positive they will have no problem with second movie. The story flows much better after Venus dream and everything connects with eachother. If i would worry its the first half of the arc where the story is very episodic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorSugababe wrote:
While its true that every episode is about 20 minutes its also true that not every act requires 20 minutes. In fact all three seasons extended episodes in some ways

The most signifcant is S1. Very often they've added extra non-manga material. Just from the top of my head
-Manga act 5 has no conversation between Beryl and Nephrite, there is no actual battle between the mannequin an senshi, there are no Makoto's memories, there is no Usagi's speech about real love.
-Act 6 has no battle between Inners and Zoisite at all, Beryl doesnt show up, doesnt introduce herself to the senshi, there is no Usagi attacking Beryl, Zoisite getting hurt. The whole conversation between Usagi and Tuxedo also was extended.
-Act 7 had no Mamoru-Zoisite confrontation, Ami wasnt at the battlefield at all. Overall the entire battle was very short in the manga, it was extended a lot in Crystal
There's way more
Season 2 had less new fluff but they still extended some battles (for example vs Wiseman in act 25, vs Demande in act 22 or vs Koan in act 15). Both seasons also used transformations to extend the time. Specialy the early act but not only (see act 11, 15, 23)

Season 3 extended some of the battles (vs Cyprine, vs Kaolinite or vs Tomoe) and in the last few episodes they used recaps to extend the episodes (sometimes even up to 3 minutes). Outside of act 27 part 1&2 they didnt really use the transformations all that much. Instead they used lots of stock footage attacks. They're a lot shorter than transformations so they dont use tha much time but still.

Overall i really dont think each act needs those 20 minutes. They can use their time a lot more efficiently by not having the need to extend the episode to reach the time limit. Of course im sure they might want to extend some battles regardless, because those always need a bit more time in motion than few panels of the manga but that shouldnt affect the movies that much.

Im pretty positive they will have no problem with second movie. The story flows much better after Venus dream and everything connects with eachother. If i would worry its the first half of the arc where the story is very episodic.

I've always been in favor of a little expansion and invention

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:05 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
You guys sure make the movie route more acceptable with the proper calculations....I think all that is in store now is to hope Toei gives Sailor Moon Dream some fluid animation and originality with the transformation and attacks.

When you really think about it and the fact that our favorite villians aren't getting the extended SuperS treatment of filler... Perhaps a movie is best well suited for Dream AND Stars. Given that Kon is no stranger to doing darker anime (I assume); I'm sure they could possibly get away with more in a movie than they could with a TV series perhaps? Idk for sure how it works, just a guess.

So basically our main concerns should be centered around the animation, art style and story (patching up any loose ends or strengthening weak scenes and pacing)?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:39 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SailorSugababe wrote:

There's way more

Crystal has never "extended episodes." They've added new scenes to some episodes, sure, but at the same time they've also cut scenes from the manga. For example, Act 5 had those additions you mentioned, but they also cut Usagi's dream from the beginning of the chapter, Usagi and Luna discussing/thinking about Tuxedo Mask while Usagi's walking to school, Grandpa Hino's brief cameo, Usagi transforming into a groom, and, of course, Makoto killing Nephrite and Zoisite and Kunzite reacting to his corpse. So it's really more that Crystal cuts random stuff from the manga and then invents new stuff to either focus on the things it wants to emphasize or just to pad for time. I think every chapter of the manga needs AT LEAST 20 minutes, and most of them need more, otherwise we end up with weird pacing and stuff getting either cut or not getting properly expanded upon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:15 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
SailorSugababe wrote:

My biggest concern is they go in the opposite direction and try to rush everything I really don't want to have the Dream arc cliffnotes version.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:22 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Neon Genesis wrote:
My biggest concern is they go in the opposite direction and try to rush everything I really don't want to have the Dream arc cliffnotes version.

Oh Heaven forbid! I want to really enjoy this season no matter what form it takes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:21 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
doctorwho29 wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

Oh Heaven forbid! I want to really enjoy this season no matter what form it takes.

You don't need to worry. :keke:

Ms. Kon will take care of everything. =^_^=

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:46 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Crystal has never "extended episodes." They've added new scenes to some episodes, sure, but at the same time they've also cut scenes from the manga. For example, Act 5 had those additions you mentioned, but they also cut Usagi's dream from the beginning of the chapter, Usagi and Luna discussing/thinking about Tuxedo Mask while Usagi's walking to school, Grandpa Hino's brief cameo, Usagi transforming into a groom, and, of course, Makoto killing Nephrite and Zoisite and Kunzite reacting to his corpse. So it's really more that Crystal cuts random stuff from the manga and then invents new stuff to either focus on the things it wants to emphasize or just to pad for time. I think every chapter of the manga needs AT LEAST 20 minutes, and most of them need more, otherwise we end up with weird pacing and stuff getting either cut or not getting properly expanded upon.

I dont understand why you say with such confidence that Crystal never extended episodes when the final few episodes of season 3 have few minutes of recaps from the previous episode(s). But not just that. You're right that sometimes they do cut out stuff but more often they're just few little panels (like that Grandpa from act 5) and in return they add more. Epsiode 5 still adds more than removes in my opinion. The battle in the manga is just few pages long (and majority of it its just girls doing their speeches for the entire page). In Crystal it lasts for a few minutes and it has few turn of events that never appeared in the manga (Inners attacking the "bride", Youma taking Makoto hostage, Nephrite talking how naive love is, Makoto's memories and her giving up, Usagi's speech, Nephrite attacking and taking down inners, Nephrite recognizing Jupiter). But act 5 aside: look at the stuff i wrote for act 6. There's barely anything cut out from that act, same goes for act 7.

From what i recall the only epsiode that cut out a lot was ep 16 where they removed Ami and Mako investigating TA school aswell as Asanuma memories and replaced it with Ami-Beruche chess match (which never happened in the manga)

As for the Infinity episodes, in the original run all 3 final acts were one single chapter. After the split they've become rather short (not to mention they all have quite a few double-page spreads), no wonder they needed to extend the episodes with recaps.

I still think some of the Dream chapters dont need 20 minutes (specially some of the final acts). The only one that would possibly require over 20 minutes is the very first act because it has a lot of stuff in it. But even then they can make it shorter. If they did the intro a'la R or S movie then they could move some of the scenes into the intro (like Mamoru buying the caleidoscopes)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
To some extent though, I can see why some people would want it to be in the form of episodes as some people like to watch reactions on YouTube and it's easier for the YouTubers to react to episodes than a movie.

I think that it'll be fine. Lol what could go wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:42 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Cierra Moon wrote:
To some extent though, I can see why some people would want it to be in the form of episodes as some people like to watch reactions on YouTube and it's easier for the YouTubers to react to episodes than a movie.

The online episode format, should it happen, will be very interesting because they have the option to react to each of them at the same time or on different days so I can imagine longer videos, or each split into parts themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:24 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Cierra Moon wrote:

The online episode format, should it happen, will be very interesting because they have the option to react to each of them at the same time or on different days so I can imagine longer videos, or each split into parts themselves.

If they're willing to do it lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:28 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Does anyone have any idea when a trailer for the movies might come out?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:50 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: conservative
SailorSugababe wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

I dont understand why you say with such confidence that Crystal never extended episodes when the final few episodes of season 3 have few minutes of recaps from the previous episode(s). But not just that. You're right that sometimes they do cut out stuff but more often they're just few little panels (like that Grandpa from act 5) and in return they add more. Epsiode 5 still adds more than removes in my opinion. The battle in the manga is just few pages long (and majority of it its just girls doing their speeches for the entire page). In Crystal it lasts for a few minutes and it has few turn of events that never appeared in the manga (Inners attacking the "bride", Youma taking Makoto hostage, Nephrite talking how naive love is, Makoto's memories and her giving up, Usagi's speech, Nephrite attacking and taking down inners, Nephrite recognizing Jupiter). But act 5 aside: look at the stuff i wrote for act 6. There's barely anything cut out from that act, same goes for act 7.

From what i recall the only epsiode that cut out a lot was ep 16 where they removed Ami and Mako investigating TA school aswell as Asanuma memories and replaced it with Ami-Beruche chess match (which never happened in the manga)

As for the Infinity episodes, in the original run all 3 final acts were one single chapter. After the split they've become rather short (not to mention they all have quite a few double-page spreads), no wonder they needed to extend the episodes with recaps.

I still think some of the Dream chapters dont need 20 minutes (specially some of the final acts). The only one that would possibly require over 20 minutes is the very first act because it has a lot of stuff in it. But even then they can make it shorter. If they did the intro a'la R or S movie then they could move some of the scenes into the intro (like Mamoru buying the caleidoscopes)
Honestly exented eppisodes could only work with a few chapters. Remeber season 3 spit 27 episode the next episode they had to add an extendded fight, and whole wave transformation for time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:35 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I have a feeling that each episodes of Season III have much many dialogues than Season I and II. The writer had to combined and omitting many lines (especially Pharaoh 90's). Yet many events and climaxes happened in the same episodes. For example, episode 3 was written for Sailor Mars and Eudial, episode 4 was for Sailor Venus and Mimete, episode 5 was for Mercury and Viluy... However, the first halves of those episodes were for other matters (the true identities of Uranus and Neptune, relations between Usagi and Haruka, Mamoru and Michiru, Chibi-Usa and Hotaru, three Talismans...). I needed to concentrate too much when watching each episode. I wonder if we can digest those events when watching 6 episodes in a row as a movie. We really need time to breathe!!

For example: Solar eclipse -> Mamo's room -> Pegasus -> Dead Moon -> Fighting -> Dead Moon -> Age reversion -> Hospital -> Pegasus -> Ami and Setsuna -> Dead Moon -> Fish's Eye -> Super Sailor Mercury -> Moon and Chibi Moon -> Helios -> Dead Moon -> Rei practicing archery -> Talking with friends -> Circus -> Mirror House -> Super Sailor Mars.

Arrg. So many!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Well here's what some people are saying about it being movies.

https://youtu.be/mHtuDYiASS8
https://youtu.be/OQTdNJQVWS8
https://youtu.be/DBDoYvl0tHQ