It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: I think they experimenting
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:14 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Crystal development and reception is very odd. When 1, and 2 first aired . Why the reception was mixed it was still Nicos third show for continuation, and bluerays and dvds selld were mostly average. The merchandise sold as well. So they probably had less than expected to get.(Also it aired on tv I heard it got more people watching it) So basically they at least had enough profit to continued.
Than season 3 came we don't know the ratings.Its seems more people liked it. Still, dvd sells didn't do as well the first two. So it might be another DBz thing. (where fans watch the show but didn't get the merchandise.)( It can be noted that DVD s and blue rays are luxury items .)Most of the profit comes from other merchandise.
BasicallyI thinks Toei is just experimenting and just trying to find what works.I don't think they know exactly what they want to do. They seem to be now doing the movie . Stil they can change that might just get ovas for all we know. Either way were probably not going to see the movies for a long time.Unless they get a new staff. ^_^'

Post subject: Re: I think they experimenting
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:59 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
imaginationgirl wrote:
BasicallyI thinks Toei is just experimenting and just trying to find what works.I don't think they know exactly what they want to do.

One of biggest movie companies in Japan that has been in this business for 60+ years and worked on hundreds of successful anime and movie titles suddenly forgot how to do their job, so they decided to experiment and find out how? Sounds feasible. :ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:31 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
I think To is just sticking to it's business roots. It's okay if the anime is trash or mediocre at best...They know the merchandise will sell like hell. They just need a little something to snowball off of. I.dont know how well Crystal merchandise is selling but the 90s stuff was getting cleaned out. And I do think Season 3 was better than the others but I wonder if most fans gave up early due to the bad animation and the 2 week wait for bad animation?

Whatever they did, was a success because they still sold merchandise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:41 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Maraviollantes wrote:
One of biggest movie companies in Japan that has been in this business for 60+ years and worked on hundreds of successful anime and movie titles suddenly forgot how to do their job, so they decided to experiment and find out how? Sounds feasible. :ninja:

Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I think To is just sticking to it's business roots. It's okay if the anime is trash or mediocre at best...They know the merchandise will sell like hell. They just need a little something to snowball off of. I.dont know how well Crystal merchandise is selling but the 90s stuff was getting cleaned out. And I do think Season 3 was better than the others but I wonder if most fans gave up early due to the bad animation and the 2 week wait for bad animation?

Whatever they did, was a success because they still sold merchandise.

Minimum investment for maximum results. :evillaugh:

So these TOEI executives already knew what they were doing. :unsure:

Pretty much everything after S1/S2 is damage control. :o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:13 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ Pretty much that. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:23 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
But don't you guys remember how Toei experimented by showing a Dragon Ball Z movie on a blimp?

The joke is that the Waves and Rocks ZTV Logo is in fact poking fun at the Toei movie intro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:45 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
DREWdesu wrote:
But don't you guys remember how Toei experimented by showing a Dragon Ball Z movie on a blimp?

"Unreleased" Kai version :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:08 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Toei doesn't need to expirement. They just need to stick with a consistent format. You look at Dragon Ball Super and Digimon Adventure Tri. While those series have their own issues, I think they still have been much more successful than Crystal because Toei has stuck to a consistent format and release pattern for both. They should have made Crystal a weekly TV series with the kind budget they gave season three from the start and stuck with it. At the very least, they probably would have been finished with Crystal by now if they did that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:15 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
Neon Genesis wrote:
Toei doesn't need to expirement. They just need to stick with a consistent format. You look at Dragon Ball Super and Digimon Adventure Tri. While those series have their own issues, I think they still have been much more successful than Crystal because Toei has stuck to a consistent format and release pattern for both. They should have made Crystal a weekly TV series with the kind budget they gave season three from the start and stuck with it. At the very least, they probably would have been finished with Crystal by now if they did that.

Yes, I agree, Neon Genesis. Crystal should've also aired in 2013.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yeah the long gaps, constant delays is not doing Crystal any favors. The Sailor Moon manga is not relevant anymore, it's 20 years old at this point and Crystal isn't reinventing the wheel in any way so there's no hype.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:09 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
In the past, they didn't release as many titles as they do now. So I think they are focusing more on quantity than quality.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:23 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Studio Witt and Bones have at least as many anime if not more than Toei they're making at a time as Toei but their shows are a lot more successful and don't have nearly as many animation quality problems as Toei.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:25 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That famous Wanpack studio is doing anime "Code Realize" and they're doing a very good job :o :o :o

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:47 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Toei have always half-assed everything. Always. They’ve never changed lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:40 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
I actually agree with you, to some extent. I think that, with their online series format, they were sort of "testing waters", kinda like... trying to find out how relevant (or not) their classic titles are in certain regions, how much does new content benefit merchandise, how said merchandise is received in different markets, how new audiences click or not with their classic titles, etc.
I always felt like Sailor Moon Crystal and Saint Seiya Soul Of Gold were in fact "experiments": they're like ads for the new merch, but they're also a good source of marketing data.
Is not a coincidence they tried this with their biggest, most relevant titles. Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball are responsible of the explotion of anime in mainstream media, on a worldwide scale.
Toei never managed to repeat that level of impact in the 00's with any of their titles (because, yes, I'm sorry, but Naruto, One Piece and PreCure never had the impact those three I mentioned above had). That's an entire decade without a proper global phenomenon, and nowadays, with digital devices being so prominent, the industry has changed, kids don't even watch TV anymore, and they don't really play with physical toys as much either.
So their business changed, and they're trying to figure out what works out best in the current context. So they're trying new things with Crystal, yes, but not because of quality: they're not trying to find out what's best for the show.
Much to the contrary: they're using the show's popularity to try all their new ideas and formats with, much to the franchise's detriment actually. But it's pretty smart.
As a fan, of course I hate it. But If I was on their shoes, I guess I'd do something similar, most likely.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:16 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Crystal Moon wrote:
That famous Wanpack studio is doing anime "Code Realize" and they're doing a very good job :o :o :o

They have also done some episodes of Dragon Ball Super in recent months and those have actually been okay so far.

C-17 wrote:
Toei never managed to repeat that level of impact in the 00's with any of their titles (because, yes, I'm sorry, but Naruto, One Piece and PreCure never had the impact those three I mentioned above had).

Naruto is actually from Studio Pierrot and while it isn't DBZ levels of popular, it is more popular outside Japan than One Piece ever will be so you're still right there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:39 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
C-17 wrote:
I actually agree with you, to some extent. I think that, with their online series format, they were sort of "testing waters", kinda like... trying to find out how relevant (or not) their classic titles are in certain regions, how much does new content benefit merchandise, how said merchandise is received in different markets, how new audiences click or not with their classic titles, etc.
I always felt like Sailor Moon Crystal and Saint Seiya Soul Of Gold were in fact "experiments": they're like ads for the new merch, but they're also a good source of marketing data.
Is not a coincidence they tried this with their biggest, most relevant titles. Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball are responsible of the explotion of anime in mainstream media, on a worldwide scale.
Toei never managed to repeat that level of impact in the 00's with any of their titles (because, yes, I'm sorry, but Naruto, One Piece and PreCure never had the impact those three I mentioned above had). That's an entire decade without a proper global phenomenon, and nowadays, with digital devices being so prominent, the industry has changed, kids don't even watch TV anymore, and they don't really play with physical toys as much either.
So their business changed, and they're trying to figure out what works out best in the current context. So they're trying new things with Crystal, yes, but not because of quality: they're not trying to find out what's best for the show.
Much to the contrary: they're using the show's popularity to try all their new ideas and formats with, much to the franchise's detriment actually. But it's pretty smart.
As a fan, of course I hate it. But If I was on their shoes, I guess I'd do something similar, most likely.

The anime industry in its existing operating mode is generally on decline along w/ traditional TV in the long run.

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:20 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
The anime industry in its existing operating mode is generally on decline along w/ traditional TV in the long run.

Do you know some facts that aren't public knowledge? :ninja:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... leases.php
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... arch/genre

By comparing stats for new releases (combined for anime and manga, or separately) year-by-year in the ANN encyclopedia it is very easy to see that the industry keeps steadily growing, with almost every year setting a new record for quantity of new titles being released.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:54 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

Do you know some facts that aren't public knowledge? :ninja:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... leases.php
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... arch/genre

By comparing stats for new releases (combined for anime and manga, or separately) year-by-year in the ANN encyclopedia it is very easy to see that the industry keeps steadily growing, with almost every year setting a new record for quantity of new titles being released.

Then I was wrong on that regard, but I still stand for my comment on traditional TV. :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:33 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
C-17 wrote:

Yah, that s what I meant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
American fans seems to love it very much. But the show is hated in Japan. :o :o :o Especially season I and II.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... on+crystal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:13 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
You shouldn't just say American fans. Fans who speak English loved Crystal.