It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:33 am

All times are UTC

Do You Guys Think That Sailor Moon Crystal Is Underated
Poll ended at Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:06 am
.That You Guys Loved Sailor Moon Crystal 30%  30%  [ 9 ]
.That You Guys Think Sailor Moon Crystal Is Ok 43%  43%  [ 13 ]
.Or You Guys Despise Sailor Moon Crystal 26%  26%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject: Is Sailor Moon Crystal Underated?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:06 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I Want To Know That If Sailor Moon Crystal Is Underated Because Sometimes I See In The Internet That Some People Hate Sailor Moon Crystal I Want To Know Your Guys Opinions On Sailor Moon Crystal

Attachments:
download (4).jpg
download (4).jpg [ 11.79 KiB | Viewed 1322 times ]

Post subject: Re: Is Sailor Moon Crystal Underated?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:11 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I’m getting a vision in the sacred fire.

I see....I see a Sailor Moon Crystal subforum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:40 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:

?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:24 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
The Stars know everything... the constellation of Lyra shines sadly, inspiring many fanfics. Somewhere, a subforum of the Sailor Moon Forums exists, where Sailor Moon Crystal threats will be posted. When this thread Peaks a moderator's attention, that forum shall appear! Then I will take it's energy for the Dark Kingdom (and certainly never defect heroically or anything like that). Bwa ha ha!

(Zoisite enters unbidden just to tell me that Nephrite stinks, and also to stop cribbing Nephrite's notes. I attempt to chase Zoisite offstage with a broom, but fail because I am overcome by his alluring scent. Then he shivs me while I'm distracted.)

Sailor Moon Crystal is okay (or the Dark Kingdom arc is, anyway, I haven't seen the rest of it yet). It's interesting to compare it to the manga and it has a few neat ideas of it's own, plus some cool songs (like "I'm Going Down"), but mostly it's not quite as good as the manga, and I'm way crazier about the '90s anime than either of those (as may be apparent). But I do like all three, so I voted "it was okay".

(I finish bleeding out from Zoisite's attack, thereby ending the post, my last thoughts being to hope that I don't banned for roleplaying outside the Roleplaying section in a thread about Crystal outside the Crystal section.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:39 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiMaster124 wrote:
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:

?

This thread was created in the wrong subforum :wink: - now moving to the right one. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:32 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
i chose hated it because of the artwork and how rushed it felt (i also didn't care for Usako in this version either because she felt cold and emotionless in comparison to her 90s counterpart especially when she destroyed the Spectre Sisters without batting an eye and don't get me started on Ami-Chan and her lack of a literal spine i cringe every time she transforms especially when she does her trademark pose at the end) but that's just my opinion and i hope no one gets offended or attacks me for it.

if you like the series that's fine and all the more power to you i say and i hope you continue to enjoy it :happy:

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:46 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
^ I completely respct your opinion, Ryo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:59 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ATM the poll results of the three choices are about the same. :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:02 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Ryo Urawa wrote:
i chose hated it because of the artwork and how rushed it felt (i also didn't care for Usako in this version either because she felt cold and emotionless in comparison to her 90s counterpart especially when she destroyed the Spectre Sisters without batting an eye and don't get me started on Ami-Chan and her lack of a literal spine i cringe every time she transforms especially when she does her trademark pose at the end) but that's just my opinion and i hope no one gets offended or attacks me for it.

if you like the series that's fine and all the more power to you i say and i hope you continue to enjoy it :happy:

this is my view as well :o

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:04 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Prince Rose wrote:
Ryo Urawa wrote:

this is my view as well :o

^ Mine too!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:21 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Ryo Urawa wrote:

I Respect Your Opinion On The Show For Me I Think That Sailor Moon Crystal Is A Good Anime No Matter How Rushed It Was And I Like Ami In Crystal She Is My Favorite Character In The Show

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
This is somewhat a difficult question to answer, at least for me. When it first came out, I had several issues with it.

In my opinion, the Dark Kingdom arc was the worst of what it has produced so far. The problem is it gave the impression to many fans that it would be faithful to the manga, and at least for the first arc, it wasn't. They decided to cut out quite a few silly moments--even if it's just a small face a character makes--in favor of making the tone more serious. Then they make the decision to have Usagi finish off Beryl instead of Venus, and they kept the four kings of heaven alive just to give the others extra angst, and the moment they remembered everything? Dead. It didn't add much, if anything, to the story, and it pretty much just teased the few people that did ship their pairings. I doubt anyone expected them to survive or get much redemption, but the way they did the new death scene? Not a good choice if you ask me. Then there's the CGI Transformations, which while it wasn't awful, to me it felt like something out of a videogame instead of matching with the anime. All that said, I genuinely enjoy parts of it, regardless of the issues I have, and it's an easy way to teach my friends the general storyline behind the first arc without having to drag them through 50 or so episodes. It's not precisely what I would have wanted from a remake of the manga, but I'm glad it consists, because it does a good job of condensing the original plot.

I don't have much of an opinion on the second arc, mainly because I didn't like it in the 90's anime, and I was more or less indifferent to it in the manga. I could go on about how I prefer Crystal's version of Black Moon compared to R, but for the most part it'd be comparing it to the manga. I was kind of annoyed by the fact that the future senshi having the exact same fuku that they did in the Black Moon arc, for the simple reason that unlike the manga, they had a general idea of what the "final" uniform designs would look like, though that's more of a nitpick on my end. Since I'm much less passionate about this part of the story, I was able to enjoy it without any major issues.

The Death Busters arc, I had no problem with whatsoever. They started putting comedy back in, the transformation scenes were drawn, and it was generally more visually appealing. I feel they should have stuck with the manga and ditched the transformation wands for all of the senshi and not just the outers, but again that's more of a nitpick. Also I prefer the Chibi-Usa in Crystal to the one in the original anime. I honestly kind of just skimmed over whenever I saw her in the manga, so I can't give a comparison for that.

I have some hopes for the Dream Arc, and hope that we get to see a decent adapted version of that, since the 90's anime is pretty different. I wish they were doing it by episode like they had for the past three arcs, but ah well. I'd also like to point out that in the manga, none of the minor villains were given compassion. That was only a thing in the 90's anime. All of the minor villains were pretty much given monster of the day treatment. So some of the mistakes with that and story flow are from the manga. As much as I love it, it's far from flawless. Because of this, we should probably expect the Amazon Trio being given a similar treatment.

In the end, I picked that it's okay, because as problematic as it can be, it can also provide entertainment, and I think the team is (albeit slowly) learning from their mistakes. My opinions may clash with a lot of people who dislike Crystal, or with people who love it. That's just my view on things and we can all agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Give it time... it may become underrated.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:06 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Clow wrote:

sorry but i laughed so hard at this comment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:26 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
^ I know, right. This comment is too gut busting hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:15 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Ryo Urawa wrote:
Clow wrote:

sorry but i laughed so hard at this comment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You never know... when PGSM came out, everybody hated it, and now I hear people saying it is the best adaptation of the Dark Kingdom arc.

If I recall correctly, fans' response to PGSM was much more negative than it was to Crystal.

Time... is a mysterious thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
The biggest complaints seem to be about the production values and rushed story execution of the first season and the inconsistent release format and long production delays and a perceived lack of merchandise. The second season seemed like it was better received and the third season was widely popular in online fandom communities even if it didn't translate into actual financial success for whatever reason. But any positive discussion about Crystal always seems to get overshadowed by the heated Internet flame wars between the extremes of both sides and it doesn't help we now have equally heated divisions between diehard fans of the first two seasons of Crystal and diehard fans of season three.

We still don't know how well Toei's Dream arc movies are going to turn out, so I think it's too early to tell what Crystal's place in the franchise will ultimately be. But if Toei sees Crystal as successful enough to keep continue making more, there's likely more people than you think that like the series, but the Internet always over-amplifies the extremes of any side of an argument. You just have to find likeminded fans that enjoy the series as much as you do. I have plenty of friends that love Crystal and even most my friends who don't like it are just kind of meh about it and don't actively hate it. Social media makes it easy to find your fellow fans that have similar interest to you, so I would try looking for Crystal fans on those kinds of communities. I feel like there's plenty of Crystal fans on sites like Twitter and Tumblr. Again, you just have to know where to find them at.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:09 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
After rewatching it these past few days I think it is "okay". I can't help but to wonder if it is a bit underrated. I really think folks come down really hard on Crystal since we were lead to believe (or made ourselves believe) that it was going to be just like the manga, which is the root of some of the problems in the first place. The plotting is wonky because it's like that in the manga, fast paced & I dare say it, anticlimactic with some of the battles.

Looking at it, the art style for S1 & S2 was more vibrant and prettier than S3 but what nailed them.to the coffin was that budget. I do remember a few episodes that hard art that would dance circles all over S3. It was in the Black Moon Arc. I don't know who animated those particular episodes but I wished the whole series was done like that.

The Senshi have that major intro shine for first apperance and then kinda roll back in the shadows around Usagi in Crystal but I mean they are pretty much like that in the manga also.

Neptune virtually did nothing in Infinity portion of the manga and the same was said for Crystal, though she did get a to do a massive kill of the Witches 5 instead of Uranus killing everythang.

I do agree that the art was weird sometimes in 1-2 but so was it in the manga when Naoko first started. The Senshi were all kinda flimsy in it as well at times. The transformations in S1-2 look a lil strange but they move better compared to the Inners in S3 with those washed up transformations with Jupiter and others having those jumpy frames.

What people really wanted was 90's SM and S3 is a bit more popular because it leans on it. To me, S3 is like the 'Stranger Things' of Sailor Moon 90s era. It has a retro feel in its delivery.

Crystal did amp up some scenes and I thank them for that much.

I really hope Dream is decent. I also.jope they don't change or censor it. S1 was a test using SM merchandise to guage popularity.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:13 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Clow wrote:

You never know... when PGSM came out, everybody hated it, and now I hear people saying it is the best adaptation of the Dark Kingdom arc.

If I recall correctly, fans' response to PGSM was much more negative than it was to Crystal.

Time... is a mysterious thing.

I LOVED PGSM when it first came out and honestly, the initial fan response to it wasn't really negative. It was more so that a lot of people didn't watch it / weren't really interested in watching it because it was live action and campy (and, at the time it came out, it wasn't especially easy to get hold of the episodes as they were coming out, so it wasn't as accessible for fans to comment on as Crystal is). I would say the initial response to it was akin to the attitude many fans still have towards the musicals: it's just not their cup of tea. But apart from riffing on things like plush toy Luna, the cheesy effects and ballet fu, and all those weird close ups of mouths, PGSM didn't really elicit much negativity. The response to Crystal has been MUCH more negative (and deservedly so).

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:17 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
MementoNepenthe wrote:

I LOVED PGSM when it first came out and honestly, the initial fan response to it wasn't really negative. It was more so that a lot of people didn't watch it / weren't really interested in watching it because it was live action and campy (and, at the time it came out, it wasn't especially easy to get hold of the episodes as they were coming out, so it wasn't as accessible for fans to comment on as Crystal is). I would say the initial response to it was akin to the attitude many fans still have towards the musicals: it's just not their cup of tea. But apart from riffing on things like plush toy Luna, the cheesy effects and ballet fu, and all those weird close ups of mouths, PGSM didn't really elicit much negativity. The response to Crystal has been MUCH more negative (and deservedly so).

Well, social media didn't exist when PGSM came out; there was no Twitter, no Tumblr. I do recall a lot of "Sailor Moon" fans (with whom I interacted via MSN) bashing the show and complaining that TOEI chose to create a live action show instead of a new anime. When PGSM came out, fans of the 90's anime were obsessed with the idea of a new anime, and many wanted a new anime based on the manga because they held the view that the manga was "immaculate." Although PGSM episodes weren't easily available, episodes were posted on Youtube regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:38 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
ATM the poll results of the three choices are about the same. :)

Looks like "OK" is the verdict now. :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:00 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Well the Internet and society in general is much more vitriolic and polarized these days than we were in 2003. But I do remember a lot of complaints about the CGI and how people couldn't stand to watch it because of the bad acting. PGSM also did very poorly in ratings in Japan to the point they had cut the ending short by three episodes as the series was originally supposed to be 52 episodes long. But I feel like most PGSM fans have learned to accept the criticisms of the show as valid while still being able to enjoy the positives of it while debates over Crystal can still be very heated. Though I personally always felt like complaints about how terrible the PGSM actresses were was always over-exaggerated and they were never much worse than most Sentai actors in general.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:02 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
While PGSM did get fairly poor ratings and I don't think its merchandise sold very well, that's not why the ending got "cut short" by three episodes. PGSM was only ever going to air for one year (thus 52 episodes) unless it ended up being a massive success, then maybe it would have gotten another season. However, during its run, the show got pre-empted three times due to weather or other programs taking over the timeslot. As a result, it lost out on three episodes. Toei did not deliberately shave three episodes off their order for the series. And the series was obviously successful/respected enough that Toei produced the Special Act, Act Zero, and the two shorts that accompanied Act Zero.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Considering how often I hear stuff like "Naoko hated the 90's anime and Crystal is exactly what she wanted!", I'd say it's actually overrated.

Last edited by Zyvik on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:35 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Zyvik wrote:
Considering how often I hear stuff like "Naoko hated the 90's anime and Crystal is exactly what she wanted", I'd say it's actually overrated.

Exactly, Zyvik! Naoko did indeed like the 90's anime, she said she liked Rei's character in the anime. She didn't like how the anime staff handled the Stars arc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:36 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
^^^and she was jealous of the Senshi's death during the battle with Beryl she wanted to do that herself but wasn't allowed :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:44 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
I personally don't hate Crystal, I'm just completely indifferent towards it. For me it just...exists. I think every other version of Sailor Moon has something unique and interesting to offer, while Crystal is just a clumsy rehash of the manga with no identity and ideas of its own. I don't regret that we have it, but I could live without it just as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:48 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
90s Rei is way better than Crystal Rei for the sake of in the 90s she's actually interesting and fiery...in the manga she doesn't really stand out. (Who does besides USA)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:21 am 
Luna
Luna
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
90s Rei is way better than Crystal Rei for the sake of in the 90s she's actually interesting and fiery...in the manga she doesn't really stand out. (Who does besides USA)

Interesting? She’s sort of an unlikeable b word -being mean for the sake of it and then supposedly being Usagi’s most loyal and trusted companion.
With friends like her it’s no wonder that Usagi Can forgive even her worst enemies.

With that said, there were a few character moments from the manga that were removed in the first season that REALLY took away from Rei and the other Senshi.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:40 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Star Angel Haruki wrote:

I am a bit like 90's Rei and I feel I'm unlikable. :oh: :oh: :oh: