Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Anyone else not like season 3's art style?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:24 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
I just can't stand it!! I miss the season 1 and 2 eyes and the lipstick and the beautiful pastel colors.

Post subject: Re: Anyone else not like season 3's art style?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:19 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I love S3. I still like S1/S2 (the good ones) but S3 art is just better to me at least.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:55 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I’m not a huge fan, but I will give it that it’s a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:05 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
The art style of S1 and S2 is more beautiful because it is more detailed --and because it is so detailed, it is difficult to animate; in other words, TOEI doesn't have the budget to properly animate that style.

Although the art style of S3 is not as pretty, I prefer it over the art style of S1-2 because it does not compromise the animation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
The art style of S1 and S2 is more beautiful because it is more detailed --and because it is so detailed, it is difficult to animate; in other words, TOEI doesn't have the budget to properly animate that style.

Although the art style of S3 is not as pretty, I prefer it over the art style of S1-2 because it does not compromise the animation.

From viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26885&start=137

NJ_ wrote:
Another informative video from Ajay, also relevant to Sailor Moon Crystal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:41 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I don't say simplifying is bad, but... Why did they wash out the colors? What did they do with the chests of girls? Why are their head are so big???

The style of episode 10, 14 and 26 are much better then SS 3. Simple but still elegant. :mischief:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:01 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I DOOO!!!

While not an exact copy or translation of Naoko's style, Sakou did a good job at mimicking it while adding her own touch - the touch of a good artist
(I'm looking at you, Marco Albieri). The beautiful, romantic style Naoko employs in the manga was called-to in the look of season 1-2.

Season 3 just looks very washed out and generic. Its not so much a dig at the artist's style (I've seen him do better/well), but a concious
choice on behalf on whoever was in charge to dumb it down.

I know that budget/on model issues are likely the reason for that, but the slight changes by this merchandise artist help it resemble Naoko's art more (the eyes!!!)
and looks prettier (to me, but that goes without saying).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:45 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
The animators of SMC3 didn't think the video would be played with a big TV someday... :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: Even with episode 38, which is said to be the best episode, looked terrible on big screen. It looks like the animators have Parkinson disease while lining the pictures :sadeyes: :sadeyes: :sadeyes:
SMC 1 and 2 have generic movement, but do not make me have the same feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:51 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
rgveda99 wrote:
Clow wrote:

From viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26885&start=137

NJ_ wrote:
Another informative video from Ajay, also relevant to Sailor Moon Crystal.

So TOEI's staff didn't have adequate time to perform or were incompetent.

In any event, I stand by my words -- I vastly prefer season 3 because the art is kind of charming in its own way and the animation feels more fluid.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:16 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
The new chara is not bad, but in my opinion it does not suit Sailor Moon at all. It made the characters look like children, especially the Outers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:21 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: conservative
Neo Queen Serenity wrote:
I just can't stand it!! I miss the season 1 and 2 eyes and the lipstick and the beautiful pastel colors.

Season 1 , and 2 had animation problums . I think the style was bettr . Season 3 style to me is very generic. I wish they went to the original way of just simplifying,but keeping most of the style.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:45 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
The problem with SS1 and SS2 is the character movement, not character design :P

It's the plot that make the first 2 seasons so bad. For example Act 21 and 23. :eek: :eek: :eek:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:10 pm 
Luna
Luna
Crystal Moon wrote:
The problem with SS1 and SS2 is the character movement, not character design :P
:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I prefer the season 3 style. It's not perfect, but its character designs actually work well for an animated medium. Sakou's style can be beautiful, but it's better suited for still images.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:44 am 
Luna
Luna
The Blizzard Prince wrote:
I prefer the season 3 style. It's not perfect, but its character designs actually work well for an animated medium. Sakou's style can be beautiful, but it's better suited for still images.

Or a show with money funneled into it. They're not THAT complicated, its just Toei being cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:39 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
SILVER wrote:
Or a show with money funneled into it. They're not THAT complicated, its just Toei being cheap.

I've seen shows with even more complicated designs be able to pull it off, so I don't doubt that. But I think her designs were too ambitious for Toei, as much as I liked the idea of them. When you're working with a company as cheap as them, it's best to work within their limitations.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:46 am 
Luna
Luna
While I'm not a fan of season 3's character designs, they're much more appealing and proportionate than Yukie Sato's hideous designs which look awful even as still images.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:56 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
If I were them, I would have kept the style of SMC 1 - 2 or most of Sakou's style.
Smooth animation does not help much when I have to see stock footage every episode.
In season 1, at least they changed the background of Moon Tiara Boomerang. :innocent:
It seems that the animators couldn't even follow Akira's style.
On the scale of detail levels, Sakou's design is 8 points, the style in episode 21 and 25 is 10 points. Akira style is 6 points. And in SMC 3 it is just 4 - 5 points remains. :confused: This makes a big gap between SS 1 - 2 and SS 3.
This is one of the 2 episodes I really like (the other one is Eudial episode). I think the detail level can reach 6 - 7 points.

Look at Hotaru's hair!!! :love: :love: :love:

The shadows under her chins makes her face less flat.

Look at those shadows.

Look at those dresses

I'm so angry that they didn't add the lipstick for her upper lip later episodes.

Last edited by Crystal Moon on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:09 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Sailor Starlight wrote:
While I'm not a fan of season 3's character designs, they're much more appealing and proportionate than Yukie Sato's hideous designs which look awful even as still images.

Thank you. I mean, is everyone forgetting how janky the BD/DVD covers looked for season 1/2? Which Yukie herself drew? If SHE can't even get HER OWN designs to look good, then there's obviously a problem.

Not to say characters never looked good in those first 26 episodes. There were plenty of times where they did, and there was certainly an elegance to Yukie's designs that are missing in the new designs. But that elegance came packaged with blow-up doll facial expressions, broken anatomy, and bizarre proportions at least 75% of the time. So while I may not like the bubble highlights, handkerchief skirts, and how plain a lot of the characters look, I'd still take the season 3 designs over the originals any day.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:20 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
S1/2 art style was very stale. It was difficult to see a variety of emotional expressions. During an episode of season two, which had some funny shots in manga, they tried to make funny in the animation, but it just looked so awkward. It probably might have looked better in S3 animation or in the original anime style.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:23 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
As far as I know, the movies usually have more detailed character designs than a TV series does.
Just wait and see if a miracle happens. :googly:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:26 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
It really does boil down to preference but for me S1- S2 is far superior to to S3 as far as style is concerned. S3 looks good at its beat but it was very generic while Season 1-2 was different and brought a refined style over to a franchise that needed something to differentiate if from the Plethora of Pretty Cure shows..

I'm not sure the janky poses and stuff is really that much of a new thing. I mean if you really look at the manga and the girls bodies they look not that far apart and they look janky as well. Even some of the Senshi poses were off not even proportionate and most of the time the Senshi were used and posed like models which explained why their intro poses from S1-S2 looked "awkward"(I noticed how Mars' intro final pose changed from being more supermodel like.)

I mean sure, the transformations were weird but put S1 (hand drawn) and S3 intros side by side of the Inners and S3 looks flat (although still decent) and washed out compared to it.

Remember, when Crystal was coming out, it had a strong fashion line and was more marketed towards older women into cosmetics and what not.

The Senshi in S1 and S2 are straight up models and it's how Naoko portrayed them . However, in S3, they have a nice look but you can tell that it was dumbed to the 90s with a more polished look because that is what folks wanted anyway. The 90s anime designs with the mangas storyline.

If only the more skilled animators had time to work on S1 and S2 for all epsidoes. I hope all this time going by is used to enhance this dream movie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:51 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Sailor Starlight wrote:
they're much more appealing and proportionate than Yukie Sato's hideous designs which look awful even as still images.

Thank you for the laughs, Sailor Starlight! :evillaugh: :cackle:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:33 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I hate S3’s art style with a passion hotter than Burning Mandala. S1&2 would border on movie quality at times; S3’s looks cheap as dirt (I mean come on, the entire season is outsourced to the studio behind the very mistakes that everyone complained about in S1&2). I remember when Episode 1 aired, I kept checking my TV to see if it actually was streaming at 1080p...it looks worse than some 90s shows at 720, not to mention that the cutesie PreCure style REALLY doesn’t suit how dark the Inifity arc is. Also hate that they caved and brought back stock footage. If I want the original, I’ll watch the original. The monster design looked awful too. Dream is even darker than Infinity, and I reallly hope they choose a different style for the upcoming films. Ideally, I’d like to see either S1&2, or the style from the Moon Pride music video again.

Only thing S3 did right was going back to 2D transformations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
SMC3 isn't worth 1080p. :yawn:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:55 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Clow wrote:
The art style of S1 and S2 is more beautiful

Is literally plain uglier tho.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:28 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Honestly both Sakou and Takahashi aren't terribly good character designers for different reasons.

The sad part is that Crystal has had quite a few talented animators working on it that could have probably done a better job than the both of them. Especially considering that character designers normally double as chief animation directors.

Like why didn't they hire someone like Keiko Iwata as CD for Season 3?

It'd be like if the '90s chose Masahiro Ando to do character designs over Ikuko Ito.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Honestly both Sakou and Takahashi aren't terribly good character designers for different reasons.

The sad part is that Crystal has had quite a few talented animators working on it that could have probably done a better job than the both of them. Especially considering that character designers normally double as chief animation directors.

Like why didn't they hire someone like Keiko Iwata as CD for Season 3?

I didn't like Sakou that much either! Takahashi is OK. Yes to Keiko Iwata!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:34 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Why didn't they let Keiko Iwata fix Sakou's design??? :dead: :dead: :dead:

It bet that if she had to simplify Sakou's design, the result would have been better than Akira's.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:42 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Crystal Moon wrote:
Why didn't they let Keiko Iwata fix Sakou's design??? :dead: :dead: :dead:

Like the eyes and Usagi's odango?