* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:57 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
What are some non canon things from the show do you wish were in the Manga? I would pick the episodes involving the search for the rainbow crystals, they were fun to watch, plus I think it would've fit in the Manga very well.

Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Ami-Chans True Love
Yuuchirou and Rei, Nephrite and Naru lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Straw-Hats 4 life
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Yuuchirou and Rei, Nephrite and Naru lol

Same here

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:03 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The inclusion of the D.D Girls!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:33 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
Yeah, unlike the remaining arcs, the first act of the manga felt very rushed and I think it would have been nice to add things like Naru & Nephrite and the D.D. girls.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:56 pm 
Stella
Stella
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Judge of the Nights
Zoicite and kunzite relationship
Ryo urawa,yuuichirou and shinozaki
Doom tree arc with ali and an (not to mention that its my favorite arc lol)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:02 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Sailor Moon's brief time as a solo hero.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:46 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Moon Princess
Ami x Ryo and Naru x Nephrite.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:35 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
Dark Sailor Mercury!

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:46 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Moon Princess
Princess Sailor Moon. I wish this was her eternal form instead.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:47 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
Princess Sailor Moon. I wish this was her eternal form instead.

agreed [this as well as dark mercury too]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Dystopian Crystal Tokyo :P :evillaugh: :googly: :evillaugh: P-:

See more sprites at

http://sailorstarsbeyond.com/viewforum. ... b441274b94

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:54 am 
Planeta
Planeta
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
Ami x Ryo and Naru x Nephrite.

heh I forgot about Ryo and Ami-Chan lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
All the Rainbow Crystal characters would have been great to have. They were always some of the most memorable characters in the 90s anime.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
All the Rainbow Crystal characters would have been great to have. They were always some of the most memorable characters in the 90s anime.

Two of them are canon...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
rgveda99 wrote:

There never was a dystopian Crystal Tokyo even in the 90s anime. In pretty much every canon it is a utopia.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:21 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
MariaTenebre wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:

There never was a dystopian Crystal Tokyo even in the 90s anime. In pretty much every canon it is a utopia.

I think he means how it looked when the black moon attacked it before wiseman was defeated and everything was messed up

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:18 am 
Stella
Stella
Zoisite and Kunzite I would definitely like as a romantic couple in the manga. I am not a fan of Senshi/Shitennou and plus the manga literally has no homosexual male couples so this would be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
MariaTenebre wrote:
Zoisite and Kunzite I would definitely like as a romantic couple in the manga. I am not a fan of Senshi/Shitennou and plus the manga literally has no homosexual male couples so this would be nice.

actually I didn't mind them either I think the 90s anime made the Shitennou better as I don't care for Shitennou/Senshi either (didn't help I didn't care for Manga/Crystal Shitennou as I thought they were bland)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:46 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
MariaTenebre wrote:

I personally like Inners/Generals in the past, the present life, however, no way Jose.

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:22 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Rookie Senshi
I'll probably get a few things wrong since I've never read the manga, but based off of Crystal I do want to see the other relationships like Ryo x Ami or Yuuichirou x Rei. To be entirely honest I don't really miss Zoisite x Kunsite, I don't have a particular problem was gay couples but the idea two villains that are, let's be fair, emotionally backward falling in love with each other seems out of character to me. Nephrite x Naru really is something I'd believe would happen so I want that back too.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:38 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
JupiterThunder wrote:
What are some non canon things from the show do you wish were in the Manga? I would pick the episodes involving the search for the rainbow crystals, they were fun to watch, plus I think it would've fit in the Manga very well.

To be fair...when you say "non-canon things from the show," they're not non-canon. They are completely canon to the show itself.

Something that the 90s anime did or something that PGSM uniquely did is not suddenly "not canon" just because it didn't appear in the manga. The manga is the original or first work, but the unique things from the 90s anime are still "canon" to the 90s anime, and stuff like Princess Sailor Moon and Dark Mercury from PGSM are still "canon" to PGSM -- and the fact that these are all official Sailor Moon stories means that they're ALL technically part of the wider Sailor Moon canon.

What you're trying to talk about are things that are only in *continuity* with the 90s anime that others wish were also in the manga.

And to answer your question......nothing. Nothing at all. And it's not because I dislike the 90s anime, because I absolutely adore it. It's because it's just not necessary.

If I want to read the manga, then I'll read the manga, because it exists. If I'm in the mood for something from the 90s anime, then I'll just watch the 90s anime, because it also exists. If I'm in the mood for PGSM-only things like Sailor Luna or Dark Mercury, I'll just go watch PGSM. And if I'm in the mood for Sailor Moon fighting vampires in Transylvania, I'll go watch one of the musicals.

I kind of feel like this thread is basically trying to ask "what is your favorite thing from the 90s anime that you think is better than the manga/should have been in the manga" but ultimately that's not really a constructive discussion -- or at least it's not coming across that way to me. If the manga had the Rainbow Crystals, then the same exact story would have played out as in the 90s anime regarding the Rainbow Crystals.

What's more...your question is already kind of answered by the fact that these adaptations exist in the first place. Think of it like this: "What if the Sailor Moon manga had more time with Sailor Moon as a solo hero, had more filler chapters for characterization, had some romances between the villains and maybe a Naru subplot with one of them, and had these cool monsters called the DD Girls thrown in at the end?" The answer: you would have the 90s anime.

Or how about: what if the manga had Princess Sailor Moon? Well...the story would probably unfold similarly to that of PGSM.

So in this case, I'll answer the question that I think you're trying to ask. I really liked lots of elements from the 90s anime more than the manga, particularly how Haruka and Michiru were portrayed as a couple. I feel like they really came across strongly as a couple moreso than they did in the manga. I also always liked Lead Crow and Aluminum Siren's friendly rivalry from the 90s anime.

Also...mods, this thread is not posted in the right sub-forum. :( This is the Sailor Moon fandom section which is supposed to be for discussions about the fandom, fanart/fanfiction, and similar topics. I think this thread really belongs in the general discussion section.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 am 
Stella
Stella
chrissifniotis wrote:
I'll probably get a few things wrong since I've never read the manga, but based off of Crystal I do want to see the other relationships like Ryo x Ami or Yuuichirou x Rei. To be entirely honest I don't really miss Zoisite x Kunsite, I don't have a particular problem was gay couples but the idea two villains that are, let's be fair, emotionally backward falling in love with each other seems out of character to me. Nephrite x Naru really is something I'd believe would happen so I want that back too.

Well they weren't originally evil. The Shitennou were originally good and the guardians of Prince Endymion. Also I see no problem in them falling in love. I thought it was an excellent way to humanize them.

Also to John I see nothing wrong with wanting to include non manga plots from other canons into the story and just because these elements are included does not mean the stories would pan out in the same way and if they do so what. In some cases this would be for the better.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:42 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
The dignity, respect, and genuine development (what little there was, at least) that Umino received in the anime.

In all of his manga appearances, Umino never once broke out of his "creepy otaku" portrayal and was always sneaking up on people making everyone feel uncomfortable. Usagi only ever saw him as, at best, a fellow classmate who could be a bit resourceful at times, or at worst, an unwanted nerd who rubbed everyone the wrong way.

In the anime, Umino started off as a nerdy dweeb, but over time, he became grew closer to and became good friends with Usagi and Naru and even developed a full blown honest and endearing relationship with the latter. The anime saw the potential in the manga's nerd freak and turned him into a better-developed, almost "adorkable", quirky friend of Usagi and boyfriend of Naru.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:24 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MariaTenebre wrote:
Also to John I see nothing wrong with wanting to include non manga plots from other canons into the story and just because these elements are included does not mean the stories would pan out in the same way and if they do so what. In some cases this would be for the better.

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it either. :) I just am not sure what exactly the discussion is trying to accomplish because the subject can be boiled down to "what do you like from the 90s anime/other adaptations that wasn't originally in the manga" -- it doesn't have to be written in such a roundabout way as "what would you include in the manga from another adaptation" as that just sounds a bit clunky and self-defeating.

I apologize, this is just my analytical writer side coming out. Of course I understand what the subject is trying to be.

In general, the relationships between the characters who aren't Usagi, Chibi Usa, and Mamoru are all very tangible and almost even well-developed in the 90s anime. Those relationships (like Umino's development mentioned below, or Aluminum Siren/Lead Crow like I mentioned in my response) would have been great to see in the manga, but we already have these elements in other Sailor Moon stories so is there really a point?

However I guess I do understand this from a different perspective. I think Umino, for example, would have been a really fun character to have in some of the musicals.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:17 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I know I normally complain about this in the 90s anime, and I just ask you to hear me out. I think properly done this could work.

Now, I'm talking the Break-Up thing, but with some major differences. Instead of taking place in the Black moon arc, it would take place in the Dream Arc. And the reason Mamoru breaks up, with Usagi is because he is severely ill do to Nehellenia's curse and he fears that his constant interaction and connection to Usagi will cause the curse to transfer to her. And once Usagi confronts him about this curse (seeing him cough black blood), she does not stay away, rejecting his warnings and choosing to help and be with him and the curse does transfer to her. The two then fight to overcome it and defeat the Dead Moon Circus.

I think this would be better than what we got because:
1) It happens later in their relationship, rather than right after they both have their memories back of the past life
2) The threat is very credible, since Usagi ends up getting sick
3) The way Usagi discovers his reason for the break-up is much better (as oppose to Usagi just one day randomly gets Mamoru's nightmare, nonsense)
4) It's a threat they both have to work through together to overcome to defeat the enemy.
5) This one is more my thoughts, but it could be Mamoru feels like Usagi needs to concentrate on the new enemy rather than be distracted and hurt by the curse because of him.

Last edited by magic713 on Tue May 30, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:41 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
This isn't really a character or plot point, so I don't know if it counts, but I would have liked to have seen more of the comedy from the anime in the manga. The comedy is some of the best parts of the 90s anime. Naoko can be pretty funny when she wants to be, but we usually only see her comedy in the side specials or in the Sailor V manga. The manga can be overly serious and dark at times and I think adding more comedy could lighten it up and add more character development for the side characters.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:09 am 
Stella
Stella
Sabrblade wrote:
The dignity, respect, and genuine development (what little there was, at least) that Umino received in the anime.

In all of his manga appearances, Umino never once broke out of his "creepy otaku" portrayal and was always sneaking up on people making everyone feel uncomfortable. Usagi only ever saw him as, at best, a fellow classmate who could be a bit resourceful at times, or at worst, an unwanted nerd who rubbed everyone the wrong way.

In the anime, Umino started off as a nerdy dweeb, but over time, he became grew closer to and became good friends with Usagi and Naru and even developed a full blown honest and endearing relationship with the latter. The anime saw the potential in the manga's nerd freak and turned him into a better-developed, almost "adorkable", quirky friend of Usagi and boyfriend of Naru.

Yeah I agree Umino got much better development in the 90s anime and I loved his relationship with Naru. To be honest I am more of a Naru/Umino fan then a Nephrite/Naru fan as I just find their love so endearing. Even though Umino can be a silly dweeb he is very endearing and has a heart of gold and is completely devoted to Naru.

John wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it either. :) I just am not sure what exactly the discussion is trying to accomplish because the subject can be boiled down to "what do you like from the 90s anime/other adaptations that wasn't originally in the manga" -- it doesn't have to be written in such a roundabout way as "what would you include in the manga from another adaptation" as that just sounds a bit clunky and self-defeating.

I apologize, this is just my analytical writer side coming out. Of course I understand what the subject is trying to be.

In general, the relationships between the characters who aren't Usagi, Chibi Usa, and Mamoru are all very tangible and almost even well-developed in the 90s anime. Those relationships (like Umino's development mentioned below, or Aluminum Siren/Lead Crow like I mentioned in my response) would have been great to see in the manga, but we already have these elements in other Sailor Moon stories so is there really a point?

However I guess I do understand this from a different perspective. I think Umino, for example, would have been a really fun character to have in some of the musicals.

Yes there is a point because of the inclusions of these non manga canon plots would have made the manga better. Just like say the inclusion of some manga plots to the 90s anime would have made it better.