Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [JP] 90s anime Blu-ray sets announced
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:49 am 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I'm pretty doubtful this is VIZ's upscale. For anyone who isn't aware, Toei has been airing there own upscaled version for the past two years and it looks exceptionally better than what VIZ has been releasing, which is kind of a shame because it means we might never get Toei's new remaster in the States.

My only problem with Toei's new upscale is that, for some reason, when flashy effects are used (like the flames during Mar's transformation, or black electricity) the video becomes fuzzy for those specific moments. I think it's a lack of deinterlacing? I'm not sure that's the right term, I'm not an expert. I'm hoping that's not present in the bluray release. Otherwise, I'm loving Toei's new upscale. Looks pretty crisp on my HDTV and makes me resent Viz's release even more.

Anyway, R has a couple of episodes left. I can't wait to see S upscaled properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:51 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
I have a funny feeling that Toei has been saving their best masters of Sailor Moon for bluray. :o

It's a confirmed upscale so no.

Quote:
The transfer will be an high-definition "upconversion" of the standard-definition material.

Better than Viz's upscale? Of course it will but not better than non-Toei shows with film remasters like Utena and Neon Genesis Evangelion got recently.

Here's an idea of what the show would have looked like if they used the film instead & also fixed the red tint.

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/com ... ?id=127972

Last edited by NJ_ on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:51 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seira Hazuki wrote:
Oh look, their box art looks so much better than Viz's.

I disagree I think Viz's looks better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:10 am 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Better than Viz's upscale? Of course it will but not better than non-Toei shows with film remasters like Utena and Neon Genesis Evangelion got recently.

Here's an idea of what the show would have looked like if they used the film instead & also fixed the red tint.

Yeah, it's definitely not perfect. Looks way better on my TV than anything VIZ released though, and I am happy with that. It'd be amazing to see certain episodes of Sailor Moon if they had been remastered with the film.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:57 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
crescent wrote:
They remind me of the artwork that was used for the original release back in the 90s, which I love.

That's because it IS the artwork used for the original 90's releases lol they didn't even bother to update the artwork like they did with the 2003 Japanese DVD releases.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:30 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
First post updated.

ChibiBoi wrote:
crescent wrote:
They remind me of the artwork that was used for the original release back in the 90s, which I love.

That's because it IS the artwork used for the original 90's releases lol they didn't even bother to update the artwork like they did with the 2003 Japanese DVD releases.

Yup, here's a comparison:

Image Image

Meanwhile in Italy & Australia...

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:01 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
NJ_ wrote:

The Toei version does look better than Viz, as the colors and linework look a lot less like they were accidentally dropped in water or something.

Also, I honestly think it looks nicer without the color correction, as with it the tones look a bit glowy. The unaltered screenshot really brings out the colors.

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:16 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
NJ_ wrote:
First post updated.

ChibiBoi wrote:
crescent wrote:

Yup, here's a comparison: *images*

Good, that soft shading used on the 10th anniversary artwork looked over-the-top and awful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:07 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Seen2 wrote:
Good, that soft shading used on the 10th anniversary artwork looked over-the-top and awful.

I have mixed feelings on it. I think just using the old artwork with a new background just looks bizarre. Sailor Moon is one of their biggest money makers, I don't understand why they couldn't produce new artwork. Babel II (1973) just got a BD release, and Toei made sure to get Michi Himeno to do the cover art (They probably would've had Shingo Araki do it if he was still alive).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:58 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Umino wrote:
Babel II (1973) just got a BD release, and Toei made sure to get Michi Himeno to do the cover art (They probably would've had Shingo Araki do it if he was still alive).

Really? I know she had done new designs for Saint Seiya & Rose of Versailles' Blu-ray boxes but I didn't know about this. That's actually pretty cool considering her involvement with this series was only for the 1992 OVA that was done elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:12 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
Really? I know she had done new designs for Saint Seiya & Rose of Versailles' Blu-ray boxes but I didn't know about this. That's actually pretty cool considering her involvement with this series was only for the 1992 OVA that was done elsewhere.

It's because she collaborated with Shingo Araki most of her career. She didn't work on Cutie Honey either, but she did the artwork for the original R2 boxset with Araki. I'm guessing since he's passed, she'll be taking over any promotional art for his iconic series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:40 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
ChibiBoi wrote:
crescent wrote:

Well, that explains it. I do wish they had produced new artwork but at the end of the day I'm just glad Marco Albiero had nothing to do with it. While he's talented, everything he produces looks so generic. I'd love more stylistic, unique looking covers - like what Ikuko Ito did for the S season releases.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:57 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
A more interesting question is what the Movie boxset will be like.

I am lucky enough to have got a brand spanking new sealed copy of the DVD movie boxset a few years ago. The amount of extra stuff in there is extroidanary.

I fear it wont match up to that though...times have changed...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:01 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Umino wrote:
Seen2 wrote:

I have mixed feelings on it. I think just using the old artwork with a new background just looks bizarre.

And even that new background is pretty generic & lazy. :roll: (They still stress that it's only of a limited production quantity in the 1st press & not available for the remaining stock of that press, tho. lol )

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:04 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Quote:
Well, that explains it. I do wish they had produced new artwork but at the end of the day I'm just glad Marco Albiero had nothing to do with it. While he's talented, everything he produces looks so generic. I'd love more stylistic, unique looking covers - like what Ikuko Ito did for the S season releases.

Marco is a very talented artist, but I feel like he's being held back by higher ups. He's probably strictly instructed to only produce certain type of art. I wish they'd let him be a little more adventurous and not have him just trace over stuff. Another major problem is how his artwork is used. Viz is doing a pretty bad job with it, and their DVD covers look bland.

mrploddy wrote:
I am lucky enough to have got a brand spanking new sealed copy of the DVD movie boxset a few years ago. The amount of extra stuff in there is extroidanary.

Ohhh... The original R2 boxset from awhile back? I've always wanted to get my hands on that. The boxart alone is gorgeous.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:24 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
I'll be frustrated if these end up having better video quality than the Viz release.

Can confirm just from the NHK broadcast that they are much better. ESPECIALLY for SMR.

Not to mention the Italian DVDs (yes...DVDs) are of better quality than what Viz did lol

Post subject: Sailor Moon Classic Japanese Blu-Ray Release Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
(If there is a previous thread for this please merge I scrolled back 6 or 7 pages but couldn't find)

2 volumes in June 2017 and August 2017

Just had my shipping e-mail from HappyNet.

Should have my Vol 1 set tomorrow via Sagawa.

Who else is buying ?.

Wonder how much discussion this release will set off about the quality of the Viz Rrelease :ninja:

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Classic Japanese Blu-Ray Release Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Im wondering if it will be same quality as NHK HD?
http://www.sailormoonforum.com/download ... p?id=33117

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:50 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Let's hope it's a good quality remaster, and not like the kind Viz gave us... In the least a sharper HD upscale of the Japanese R2 release would be good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:37 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I will buy the Blurays from japan, but I will be waiting of the reviews. It is for me to much money, when the quality is not good.

The posting image is very good. It is this quality (or better), than I will pay the costs + customs bill.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:23 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
There's already a thread for this.

http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopi ... 22&t=29166

To answer your question though, what is there to say? The NHK HD broadcast showed that it will look better than Viz's sets despite also being an upscale of a film-based show (and done by Q-Tec with their awful FORS technology). If only Toei stopped being lazy and got their film masters out, they could have made a better release than not only Viz but also their R2 DVDs since those discs had their own problems like the red tint.

Anyway, I'm just waiting for the movie BDs so I can see how much better the R movie & Make Up Sailor Senshi will look unlike Viz's overfiltered crap (it's no upscale but putting that much DNR on a high-quality film source is just as wrong as on an upscale). I do wonder about the Japanese audio on that release though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:15 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Sailor Moon - Part 1 - Blu-Ray Collection (details).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 514&type=3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:41 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
sailormoongalaxy wrote:
Sailor Moon - Part 1 - Blu-Ray Collection (details).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 514&type=3

That artwork just looks so dated on a Blu-Ray packaging... at least Sailor Moon S will look cool with that holographic box.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:01 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
So, the quality is the same as the HDTV rips (dnr, no color corrections, etc - upscaled) but without the artifacts. So far, I haven't noticed any artifacts or blended frames, especially during the transformations or attacks. I guess TOEI was just being TOEI for the HD broadcast version :evillaugh:

http://i.imgur.com/QwYWb7X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m0Tn78n.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SSlw5Z5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nLgMrDU.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:04 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
KAKERU wrote:
So, the quality is the same as the HDTV rips (dnr, no color corrections, etc - upscaled) but without the artifacts. So far, I haven't noticed any artifacts or blended frames, especially during the transformations or attacks. I guess TOEI was just being TOEI for the HD broadcast version :evillaugh:

http://i.imgur.com/QwYWb7X.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m0Tn78n.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SSlw5Z5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nLgMrDU.jpg

First 3 links give me 404 errors, but the last one does look pretty decent. I agree, the colors could use some more vibrancy for this release, but at least it's better than the sloppyish look Viz gave their release.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:05 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Links have been fixed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:09 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Ah, that's better..... not too shabby of a Blu-Ray debut there, Toei! I should try some color corrections on this sometime to make it look like either the original cels or the Italian release, just to see how it looks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:14 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
http://www.toei-video.co.jp/special/sailormoon-r/

Vol. 1 - October 4th
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07219ZGH7

Vol. 2 - December 6th
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B072MQC3QH

I hope they have Ail & An in the discs to make up for them being cut from the box cover with the choice they used.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:43 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Blu Ray Collection Vol.1 Unboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:10 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Those motw designs make for a really neat extra. Here's hoping videos will be out soon, especially of the creditless OP/ED sequences.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next