* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Name help
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:15 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hi. I'm trying to put together a gender swapped Sailor Moon fan fiction. I'm having a little trouble with the names. I've honestly tried to do some research but keep getting stuck. My main question about is about Usagi. I've heard that it can be unisex but other places say it's simply a girls name. I also get similar confusion on Rei but I think I have found some men with that first name. Does anyone know what the truth about this?

Also if you have any suggestions for names for the other Senshi (Ami and Minako particularly) I'd like to hear it. I'm only part of the way into my research but I thought I'd make use of the knowledge of fellow fans.

Thanks so much.

Post subject: Re: Name help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
I may be able to help, but I'll need to know some more about what exactly your after. Is it masculine names that mean the same thing or entirely new names with a similar meaning?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:17 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
chrissifniotis wrote:
I may be able to help, but I'll need to know some more about what exactly your after. Is it masculine names that mean the same thing or entirely new names with a similar meaning?

Well meaning the same thing would be nice but over all I'm just looking for something that fits the character. After posting here I did stumble across a great name website and I keep looking up names that sound somewhat similar to the original and have meanings that fit the character (for example, for Ami I'm kept my search primarily in the A's). I guess I didn't think about it that deeply and I'm sort of making it up as I go.

I hope that gives some parameters lol

Edit: I'm still open to input but I think I have some good ideas for the names. It's mainly Usagi I'm stuck on. I keep thinking of the comic character Usagi Yojimbo but most of the websites say it's a female name.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:09 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Well I'm at work right now so I can't help you immediately, but I do have a baby name book at home that I use specifically for the purpose of naming characters in my stories. I'll have a read and see what I can come up with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Thanks. I'll keep looking around for ideas but I await yours and any other input.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Okay, so firstly I can see where there is confusion; Wikipedia does say that Usagi is a unisex name, however my book says that Usagi is a feminine name, it also isn't in the boy's name list. I think for now it's better to play it safe and use a different name, but if none are good enough you can stick with Usagi.
Now, the names;
Akira - bright, intelligent. Good for Ami.
Benjiro - enjoys peace. A bit of a stretch but it may be good for Usagi.
Haru - born in the spring. It's a good placeholder name you can put it to anyone born during the spring season.
Hideaka - smart, clever. Another good one for Ami.
Hisoka - reserved and shy. Even another good name for Ami.
Ichiro - first-born child. Another good placeholder name to use for an eldest child.
Jiro - second-born child. Ditto.
Joben - clean. Maybe good for Mako with her home cleaning.
Kaemoon - joyful. A very good name for Usagi.
Kaori - strong. Excellent name for Mako.
Kentaro - big boy. This could be used for Mako given her height.
Michio - one with the strength of three thousand. Fantastic name for Mako.
---
I'll update the post tomorrow, I got burned out and the end of M. :googly: Still this is a great list so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:44 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
chrissifniotis wrote:
Okay, so firstly I can see where there is confusion; Wikipedia does say that Usagi is a unisex name, however my book says that Usagi is a feminine name, it also isn't in the boy's name list. I think for now it's better to play it safe and use a different name, but if none are good enough you can stick with Usagi.
Now, the names;
Akira - bright, intelligent. Good for Ami.
Benjiro - enjoys peace. A bit of a stretch but it may be good for Usagi.
Haru - born in the spring. It's a good placeholder name you can put it to anyone born during the spring season.
Hideaka - smart, clever. Another good one for Ami.
Hisoka - reserved and shy. Even another good name for Ami.
Ichiro - first-born child. Another good placeholder name to use for an eldest child.
Jiro - second-born child. Ditto.
Joben - clean. Maybe good for Mako with her home cleaning.
Kaemoon - joyful. A very good name for Usagi.
Kaori - strong. Excellent name for Mako.
Kentaro - big boy. This could be used for Mako given her height.
Michio - one with the strength of three thousand. Fantastic name for Mako.
---
I'll update the post tomorrow, I got burned out and the end of M. :googly: Still this is a great list so far.

Thank you very much! I think Makoto is still good because everywhere I look it's listed as unisex and I once heard it was an early name for Mamoru. I will still consider those others though I really think I like Kaemoon for Usagi. Joyful really fits and it even has the word moon in it :)

I also was leaning towards Akira for Ami. I also had some names in place for some of the others. I liked "Ryuu" (Dragon/Imperial) for Rei and I had two I was torn between for Minako. They are Mitsuo meaning "shining hero" and Michio meaning "man on a journey". I also had possibles for some of the other characters but I don't need to give the whole list unless anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
doctorwho29 wrote:
Thank you very much! I think Makoto is still good because everywhere I look it's listed as unisex and I once heard it was an early name for Mamoru. I will still consider those others though I really think I like Kaemoon for Usagi. Joyful really fits and it even has the word moon in it :)

I also was leaning towards Akira for Ami. I also had some names in place for some of the others. I liked "Ryuu" (Dragon/Imperial) for Rei and I had two I was torn between for Minako. They are Mitsuo meaning "shining hero" and Michio meaning "man on a journey". I also had possibles for some of the other characters but I don't need to give the whole list unless anyone is interested.

No worries. I saw Mitsuo in my book, I didn't add it because it was defined as golden rather than shining hero, but that really does work for Minako. Ryun is interesting for Rei, I do like that. I'll keep going later today and try to find any others. Also it's actually a good idea to post your list, it will provide a much better idea of what to look for if I can see what's already acceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Ok here is the current name list:

Usagi= Kaemoon
Ami= Akira
Rei= Ryuu
Makoto is still Makoto
Minako= Mitsuo
Mamoru= Masuyo meaning "benefits the world" I chose this for her because she is the equivalent of "Sailor Earth" and that certainly benefits the world/earth
Beryl= Berel or possibly still spelt Beryl. According to Wikipedia, both work for men

For Naru I'm still torn between Nao meaning "honest" and Nobuo meaning "faithful, trustworthy man"

That's as far as I've gotten so far. I'm still not sure how big this project will be for how many characters will end up changing genders. For example, Shingo will still be the main characters little brother.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
doctorwho29 wrote:

Usagi= Kaemoon
Ami= Akira
Rei= Ryuu
Makoto is still Makoto
Minako= Mitsuo
Mamoru= Masuyo meaning "benefits the world" I chose this for her because she is the equivalent of "Sailor Earth" and that certainly benefits the world/earth
Beryl= Berel or possibly still spelt Beryl. According to Wikipedia, both work for men

For Naru I'm still torn between Nao meaning "honest" and Nobuo meaning "faithful, trustworthy man"

That's as far as I've gotten so far. I'm still not sure how big this project will be for how many characters will end up changing genders. For example, Shingo will still be the main characters little brother.

That's a very nice list you have there, doctorwho29.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:00 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
doctorwho29 wrote:

Usagi= Kaemoon
Ami= Akira
Rei= Ryuu
Makoto is still Makoto
Minako= Mitsuo

That's a very nice list you have there, doctorwho29.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:15 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
doctorwho29 wrote:

Usagi= Kaemoon
Ami= Akira
Rei= Ryuu
Makoto is still Makoto
Minako= Mitsuo

Interesting, this is a great help. To be honest I was focusing on just the senshi so I guess I'll have to start again with the others. ^_^' :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Thanks. Don't feel you have to rename the whole cast or anything. You've already been a great help. I will say this though, threads like this might help this story (or string of stories) actually come about lol. I can be a pretty lazy writer I'm sad to say