Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Should the Crystal story go to expand beyond Stars?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:19 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Maybe side stories and the Sailor V manga?

Post subject: Re: Should the Crystal story go to expand beyond Stars?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:53 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yes.

Preferably with A-1 Pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:58 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Absolutely, I'd love a new story something different something original and unique specific to Crystal alone that would make me interested in Crystal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I don't think it will ever happen, apparently Crystal is a flop and after Stars(if they do it) Toei will not produce nothing related to Sailor Moon for a long time.(except for merchandising of course)

Last edited by SignorinaTsukino on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:28 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'm actually keeping my fingers cross for a new remake for the 30th anniversary seeing as how TOEI is getting profits from menstrual pads to face masks. :keke:

If not maybe 40th or 50th anniversary. So keep yourselves alive until then before the 30th Rapture arrives. :googly:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
I have said this so many times. The Sailor Moon fans need something fresh. A new type of threat or something...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:31 pm 
Stella
Stella
Me personally I would rather they make a sequel to the 90s anime but I would like it if we got new content for Crystal provided it is done well with a good story. However above all else I would like to see such stories as Codename Sailor V adapted to a series, the Chibiusa's Picture Diaries and Exam Battles, Casablanca Memories and Parallel Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:16 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I just love the Sailor V manga a lot and have always wanted an anime adaptation of it. I would love it if they were to continue with a Sailor V series and adapt as much of the manga as possible. They should definitely include all the side stories especially Casablanca Memories and the Princess Kaguya story. Even Parallel Moon I think would be a fun story to adapt and I want to see all the Exam Battle specials adapted too. I would also love an anime adaptation of the Another Story video game.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I have said this so many times. The Sailor Moon fans need something fresh.

Maybe Sailor Moon fans should finally put the series into museum of anime history where it belongs, and move on with their life and hobbies. After all, that's what our beloved Naoko did some two decades ago.

Star Angel Haruki wrote:
A new type of threat or something...

Crystal looks threatening enough already. Do we need more threats? :mischief:
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:35 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
If "Sailor Moon" continues belonging to TOEI, we should expect very little.

Has anyone seen the trailer of the new "Cardcaptor Sakura" anime (set to be released in 2018) and produced by Madhouse? Now, that looks good --and I am not even much of a CCS fan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:24 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Maraviollantes wrote:
Star Angel Haruki wrote:

Maybe Sailor Moon fans should finally put the series into museum of anime history where it belongs, and move on with their life and hobbies. After all, that's what our beloved Naoko did some two decades ago.

Star Angel Haruki wrote:

OMG!!! I cannot deal!!!! LMAO!!!

I saw a 6 month old trailer of CCS. I know I shouldn't say but it looks better put together than...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:08 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
Star Angel Haruki wrote:

Star Angel Haruki wrote:

OMG!!! I cannot deal!!!! LMAO!!!

I saw a 6 month old trailer of CCS. I know I shouldn't say but it looks better put together than...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:20 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
At this point I'd be happy if it even GETS to Stars in the first place.......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:33 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I have said this so many times. The Sailor Moon fans need something fresh. A new type of threat or something...

That's assuming that Naoko and Toei could 1.) actually come to terms and agree to produce new and original content (seriously, someone needs to give Naoko a creative nudge.) and 2.) Toei would be willing to pony up the cash and invest in new content. As much as I love Sailor Moon, the story after 25 years is stale; it desperately needs new life breathed into it. Toei and Naoko could take a cue from say, Akira Toriyama or Yuu Watase and create something new and exciting while staying true to the spirit of the original work that people fell in love with in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:02 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I second the notion of Codename Sailor V being adapted! It's a shame they didn't do so back in the day, because the Sailor V manga was amazing (and I'd love to see what those creators would've done with it; alas).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:55 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
if the animations would be in 90s styles,they must do (and i would watch XD)
but it can't happen.they are even splitting the whole dream arc in 2 movies

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:56 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
The Dream Arc movie thing seems like a shame, won't that make it too short to include a full adaptation? It seems a shame to try to pare it down, the Manga's pace is already pretty break-neck fast.

I do think adding, expanding, or twisting content from the manga is a little more interesting than a straight adaptation (I do like the manga even if I'm not as strongly into it as the 90s anime, but it was already well-realized as it's own thing), but as long as Crystal is being a fairly-close adaptation I'd like them to finish it. (Especially Sailor V, since there's never been any sort of adaptation of it).

As far as weird little changes in Crystal that never went anywhere... did anyone else notice how they added a tiny scene in season 1 where Naru is good at the Sailor V Game? (She never plays it in that part of the manga as far as I recall.) The game which they repeatedly establish is a training machine set up by Artemis? I doubt they meant to follow up on that but it's an intriguing thing to have tossed in there :)

But in general, I do think it would be more interesting in the future to make a new story that ties together different ideas from multiple previous versions of the Sailor Moon franchise (basically grab all the most popular ones) and then sort of twist them around, and develop a big, more complicated continuity. Maybe also have different villain groups start interacting to spawn more complicated storylines, too, like the Shitennou meeting the Animamates or who knows what. But something that takes advantage of the opportunity to build on several different elements from different versions and tie them together in new ways, basically.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:42 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'd love to see an animated adaptation of Codename: Sailor V. I'm just now reading through it for the first time actually, but I think it gives both Minako and Artemis much more depth, and it's nice to see how Artemis struggled with training Minako.

As for whether or not they should expand beyond Stars...I'm kinda iffy on that. Along with Sailor V, I'd prefer them establish more side stories or events before the Dark Kingdom arc. Silver Millennium side stories, anyone? :v

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:58 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I'd like to see Crystal actually make it to Stars before we worry about what's going to happen next.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:26 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
Shiro Darklight wrote:
I'd love to see an animated adaptation of Codename: Sailor V. I'm just now reading through it for the first time actually, but I think it gives both Minako and Artemis much more depth, and it's nice to see how Artemis struggled with training Minako.

As for whether or not they should expand beyond Stars...I'm kinda iffy on that. Along with Sailor V, I'd prefer them establish more side stories or events before the Dark Kingdom arc. Silver Millennium side stories, anyone? :v

Hey, Welcome Back, Shiro!! :keke:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:47 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
1. Wouldn’t it defeat the purpose of a closer to the manga adaptation if they made an anime exclusive season

2. Don’t think Crystal is doing well enough if the Dreams arc is being cut down from 13 episodes to two short films

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:08 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
1. Wouldn’t it defeat the purpose of a closer to the manga adaptation if they made an anime exclusive season

2. Don’t think Crystal is doing well enough if the Dreams arc is being cut down from 13 episodes to two short films

SHORT films?
That’s some inside info you’ve got, since it wasn’t announced that these would be short films anywhere, at any point

And having an extra arc wouldn’t make the “closer adaptation “ concept null.
As long as the 5 arcs are adapted, an extra story won’t interrupt the plot unless it has some serious retcons. An extra arc could work like the 90s movies (being a self contained story).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:37 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Usually a movie is much more expensive than 13 episodes, and they are making 2 movies!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:08 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
SILVER wrote:
As long as the 5 arcs are adapted, an extra story won’t interrupt the plot unless it has some serious retcons. An extra arc could work like the 90s movies (being a self contained story).

It could also be some crazy arc-welding thing that brings back characters from previous arcs somehow, but I don't think that would undermine the 'point' of the story at all, it could be kinda cool. Though so many of them are flat-out dead and I don't think this continuity (nor the manga) is that big on resurrections (and lacks all those rubbery 'what happened to ___ after time got altered' sorts of situations), that I kind of doubt they'd do it.

I'd be a lot more interested in that kind of story expansion than in a straight manga adaptation, though, as I'd rather just read the manga. (But I would be perfectly happy with a straight adaptation of Codename Sailor V, or a rewrite thereof.)

I might be more gung-ho about a faithful adaptation of the manga if I could retain enthusiasm through an arc of the manga.... I really hope the Dream Arc of the manga is as good as people keep saying, because it's kind of hard to get very attached to any of these characters in the first two arcs when everything is so abrupt. :( There's fun little moments and cool ideas, but not a lot of cohesive story or character growth. I still like the manga, but I very much think there's room for expansion and improvement.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:04 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
death_charm wrote:
Star Angel Haruki wrote:

That's assuming that Naoko and Toei could 1.) actually come to terms and agree to produce new and original content (seriously, someone needs to give Naoko a creative nudge.) and 2.) Toei would be willing to pony up the cash and invest in new content. As much as I love Sailor Moon, the story after 25 years is stale; it desperately needs new life breathed into it. Toei and Naoko could take a cue from say, Akira Toriyama or Yuu Watase and create something new and exciting while staying true to the spirit of the original work that people fell in love with in the first place.

Idk. Just about all of the information or testimonials surrounding Naoko state that she can be very difficult to work with. I don't think the two can find common ground for a new show anytime soon. Look at how it took Cyrstal to even come up off the ground. We may not be sure why but we all have a clue...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:26 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I think Crystal needs to stick to trying to make something good and original out of the OG manga before I even think about them expanding beyond it- but yes, a new arc would be nice. But I'd want a new story- I'm sorry, I really don't want to see old villains again- I think the only reason that would be done is for fanservice. If this were the 90's anime, I'd say it would be cool for the senshi to have casual, friendly encounters with the ''refreshed' Ayakashi Sisters but like, I don't want to see Beryl or the Shitennou or any other old, defeated villains resurrected. I thought Nehellenia's second arc was annoying too.

If I had it my way, we'd cut Crystal out of circulation entirely and make a new animated adaption of the manga from scratch. I know 90's anime had better animation in some seasons and worse in the others, but this is just annoying. Make one amazing set of designs, animate them well and maintain them for the entire series with little improvements as you go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:48 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
I'm not particularly in favor of resurrecting villains to do the same things over with them either. I guess part of what I meant to say is that redeemed villains are interesting to see again because they do different things. Having the Shitennou show up just to be evil minions again is dull, but having them show up to help Mamoru would be rad, basically.

I was initially iffy on the idea of the second Nehellennia arc, but then it turned out it was pretty tightly paced with a bunch of cool little moments and had a better conclusion than the precvious season, so I was cool with it in the end. But an entire extra season of Nehellennia as a villain would've gotten old quick.

Can you imagine 200 episodes of '90s Amazon Trio episodic routine? Yuck!

Anyway, I do think it would've been wise to either stick completely to the manga, or veer off wildly, not like, dither inconsistently. Ah well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Mitsukara wrote:

I was initially iffy on the idea of the second Nehellennia arc, but then it turned out it was pretty tightly paced with a bunch of cool little moments and had a better conclusion than the precvious season, so I was cool with it in the end. But an entire extra season of Nehellennia as a villain would've gotten old quick.

I actually liked the story of the second arc too! What I mean is that it shouldn't have been a second arc in the first place- I found the SuperS finale (and the story of the whole season for that matter) to be pretty lackluster, and then after that lame conclusion they bring Nehellenia in for Stars and give her a much better ending. I feel like that should have been worked into SuperS in the first place instead of what the SS finale turned out to be. I would have appreciated that being used as the story instead of what SS turned out to be- especially when Dream of the manga is so much better imo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:58 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
If they were to get new writers, yes. The 90's series already proved that competent writing brings out the best of Naoko's creation.
If they are to keep their current staff of manatees to develop a new, original arc, then no thanks. TOEI's "original" content for classic titles is fan-fiction level of bad, as proven by Saint Seiya Soul Of Gold, and Dragon Ball Super.
Goku's series has some minor moments of quality, probably due Toriyama's supervision, but for the most part, everytime TOEI takes the lead the results are atrocious.
In any case, I'd always take "bad Sailor Moon content", over "no Sailor Moon content". As for Sailor V, it'll never get animated simply because it's not appealing enough: her support cast and plot structure read as a Sailor Moon demo, and only hardcore fans will give a ☹ about it.
TOEI wants to reach a new audience, Crystal was an... acceptable effort, but the story seems dated for younger generations. Maybe a new arc, more focused on action, with better character development will connect better with millenials. I mean, there's a reason why Frozen was such a massive success: little girls now are not here for cheese-☹ Romeo & Juliet type of stories, they want better, more independent heroines. And manga/crystal Usagi isn't doing the job, IMO.
Maybe just a completely new story, focused on Chibi-Usa's training as a Sailor Guardian on her own, with the Amazon Quartet as her support team, fighting evil around the galaxy... I don't know, something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:41 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
^^ I like this post above. I keep saying SM needs a new series. Idk if it's Naoko's hand or Toei...but Sailor Moon is in need of something new. Crystal should have just been a new series based on Neo Queen Serenity and Chi-Usa as Neo Sailor Moon or whatever. All these other shows are getting new spin offs and takes and Sailor Moon keeps getting the same story. Too my knowledge, only the past musicals seemed to venture off into other kinds of stories. Is this in the future of Sailor Moon Crystal. I think the only way we will get a new season is if it does extremely well in Japanese theaters like Dragon Ball did. Sailor Moon is still popular all over the world so if they do the series some actual justice and put their best animators on it and write it properly...

Writing ain't easy I know first-hand but we have to get back into the habit of making the Senshi stand out and please keep snarky Rei... Also, when new fans get a whiff of the Asteroid Senshi and find out they are Sailor Chibi Moon's guardians from the future, they are going to be thirsty for more of them.

Perfect spinoff material. They could do Origin stories from each Senshi home planet when they were young princesses.

I also don't think they will do a Sailor V movie or mini series. I don't see them wanting to go back to that and explaining it in a series, maybe an OVA or something but does Sailor V have as much appeal as the Sailor Team together?