Worst anime promotion ever!

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

GuerreroLuna

Lumen Cinererum
Jun 1, 2014
362
626
665
Spain
#1
Hello guys,
we're less than two weeks from the start of Sailor Moon Crystal and I can't help feeling they are not promoting it hard enough.
I'll explain my thoughts :

- We only have seen one trailer, with little animation. A lot of fans have said that the animation was quite winky and cheap-looking and I am afraid I have to agree with this. Seriously WTF? Those faces...

- We have not seen visuals for queen beryl, tuxedo kamen, etc.

- English speakers will have the possibility of watching it with subtitles in their language but...we, Spanish speaking people are 500 million people and we don't know of the existence of a Spanish sub yet, where has that concept of SMC being translated into 10 languages gone?

-I don't know about the promotion in terms of flyers or ads on magazines the series is having in Japan but I can tell you the promotion of any SM-related matter in Spain equals 0.

I am grateful they are making a new series but seriously I'm starting to think it is only an excuse to sell merchandise (btw we do have merchandising announcements everyday -.-')

What do you think?
 
Jul 31, 2012
4,020
1,917
1,665
Outer Space
www.facebook.com
#2
SM moon to me always seemed about the merchandise just like most of these shows targeted towards the kiddies.

However, like a dumb dumb, I completely forgot abou.the rest of the promo stuff, lol

I completely forgot about the other characters not being revealed yet as well lack of "animation" previews. Perhaps we'll get something else before then? Maybe towards the end of the week. :confused:
 

MementoNepenthe

Systema Solare
Mar 8, 2012
5,225
4,793
1,665
underwatersphinx.blogspot.com
#3
We're getting a full-length trailer on June 30.

As for everything else... NND is a website accessible around the world. When the show streams there, it should carry subtitles in ten languages as previously promised. But that was all that was promised - that the show would be available worldwide and subtitled. There was and is no real reason to expect the show to be advertised in other countries. The US is getting promo because the rights to the new anime (and the old one) have just been secured by Viz. If other countries had secured rights to the new anime (for either subbing, dubbing, or both), I'm sure those countries would be doing promo as well. If they're not, it's because no other companies have gotten rights to SMC yet.
 
#4
I'm pretty sure part of why we're getting a limited advertisement is because the show is online-only. There's no TV channel to air commercials (unless they buy time on TV Asahi and/or Toei Channel?) and the advertisement campaign is largely online. Like, that first trailer has 5,000,000+ views.
 

Caleb

Solaris Luna
Nov 6, 2010
2,517
8
5
26
#5
StarHealerTornado said:
We're getting a full-length trailer on June 30.

As for everything else... NND is a website accessible around the world. When the show streams there, it should carry subtitles in ten languages as previously promised. But that was all that was promised - that the show would be available worldwide and subtitled. There was and is no real reason to expect the show to be advertised in other countries. The US is getting promo because the rights to the new anime (and the old one) have just been secured by Viz. If other countries had secured rights to the new anime (for either subbing, dubbing, or both), I'm sure those countries would be doing promo as well. If they're not, it's because no other companies have gotten rights to SMC yet.
Source for this? I don't think I've seen any info on this show up anywhere.
 

MementoNepenthe

Systema Solare
Mar 8, 2012
5,225
4,793
1,665
underwatersphinx.blogspot.com
#6
The (director? producer? I forget who exactly) confirmed on FB that there's a second trailer. I don't know if a date for its release has been officially confirmed, but given that the first episode is premiering at that party on June 30, it's reasonable to speculate the 2nd trailer will be out by then.
 

worldo_shaking

Lumen Cinererum
Mar 17, 2011
361
0
0
#7
I was thinking similarly to the OP post. There's no promo merch to hope to collect ;_;

I was hoping that Crystal would make Sailor Moon merch mainstream again, but that's a silly hope. No TV commercials = no toys in markets outside of specialty places like Hot Topic. Yaaarrrrggg. They did sell the manga at Wal Mart, though. Maybe we shouldn't abandon hope yet.
 
#8
GuerreroLuna said:
Hello guys,
we're less than two weeks from the start of Sailor Moon Crystal and I can't help feeling they are not promoting it hard enough.
I'll explain my thoughts :

- We only have seen one trailer, with little animation. A lot of fans have said that the animation was quite winky and cheap-looking and I am afraid I have to agree with this. Seriously WTF? Those faces...

- We have not seen visuals for queen beryl, tuxedo kamen, etc.

- English speakers will have the possibility of watching it with subtitles in their language but...we, Spanish speaking people are 500 million people and we don't know of the existence of a Spanish sub yet, where has that concept of SMC being translated into 10 languages gone?

-I don't know about the promotion in terms of flyers or ads on magazines the series is having in Japan but I can tell you the promotion of any SM-related matter in Spain equals 0.

I am grateful they are making a new series but seriously I'm starting to think it is only an excuse to sell merchandise (btw we do have merchandising announcements everyday -.-')

What do you think?
STOP. FREAKING. COMPLAINING.

I have a few choice words here, but I won't say what I'm actually feeling here, beyond incredible irritation and utter annoyance with seeing posts like yours all over the bloody place.

Yes. Opinions. They're a thing. I realize this. But seriously, did EVERYONE actually expect that 'Crystal' was going to be an exact replica of the old anime, but with updated graphics and visuals?

I am just sick of seeing posts like this flying all over the place. You are not an animation expert. Neither am I. But the animation is absolutely gorgeous. And the faces actually are different. What did you want, defining traits like warts or freckles? Did you want super-realism like some anime specialize in?

Stop complaining about the colors or the color palette. Stop complaining about the shading. Stop complaining about 'broken ankles/legs' especially when we had poses like Mercury's or Jupiters in the '90's anime. Stop complaining about "proportions" (If you want an anime with real, human-like proportions, I honestly have no clue what to tell you, because most anime is quite highly stylized.) Stop complaining about long legs ---- they had long legs in the original series as well, if you hadn't noticed. Stop complaining about all the tiny, microscopic details you noticed in TWO SCREENSHOTS.

I am SICK of posts like these complaining about so-called "shoddy" animation. What on bloody earth did you WANT?

Just freaking STOP. I am at my breaking point with these complaints and they just make me incredibly sad because the art is absolutely gorgeous and it is actually quite stunning. These people have worked for TWO YEARS to bring Sailor Moon back to us!

I agree to a certain extent: I too, am dying to see what Beryl, and the rest of the cast looks like. But I am going to be patient as can be until July 5th, as everything will be fully revealed then, I'm sure.

And you know something? Even THEN, I am NOT going to make immediate, off-the-cuff, snap judgements that thousands of other people are going to make based on ONE SINGLE episode. I am going to WAIT until we get several episodes in before deciding ANYTHING.

I don't care about the animation. I don't care which story arc we are getting. I don't care if they aren't the original anime designs. I don't freaking CARE. All I care about, is the fact that we are FINALLY getting Sailor Moon BACK. They could have given us a bloody one-shot OVA and I would have still been utterly THRILLED.

I am utterly and forever grateful to the director and to the animation team, and especially to Naoko, because they are working their BUTTS off to make this happen.

I'm going to make an effort, a solid, concentrated effort not to read posts like these anymore. They're stupid and infuriate me to no end. I've even stopped checking out Tumblr and other places because of all the bloody complaining.

Please don't get me wrong, OP, or anyone else, I'm not going after you in particular or anybody else. I know it probably sounds like it, but I don't know how else to voice how I feel in regards to posts like this. I realize that a LOT of people are really, really, REALLY concerned about this new anime, and are having a really hard time separating the old one from the new one in their minds...

But what I need for people to do, is to give the new anime a CHANCE. 10-15 episodes. Watch it for at least several episodes before you decide you utterly hate it now and forever, before deciding that "your childhood is completely and utterly ruined".

And I need for people to make an effort to actually READ THE MANGA. The old anime is NOT the only version of the story. Watch the live action tv series.

I know I'll probably get jumped on for posting this, but I am so sick and tired of seeing these ridiculous posts or complaints all over the place. Most of them are by people who have ONLY seen the original anime, or the horrid dubbed version. Either way, my apologies to those offended by this posting. Again, it isn't "You" persay. It's more the nature of the complaints I'm upset with, as I feel they are, in plain terms, silly, repetative, and just plain dumb. I can't help but feel affected by them, as I see them everywhere. But as I said, I'll try not to read topics like this anymore, as all they do is utterly inflame me.

~ Small Lady Serenity
 
Jul 15, 2012
331
35
15
28
USA
#9
I actually kind of agree, SmallLadySerenity. I've been seeing so much negativity, especially over this particular screenshot: download/file.php?id=31292 the thing about this one is that it's an in-between frame not shown for more than a tiny fraction of a second, and in-between frames are usually always awful. I think it's actually not a very bad looking in-between shot compared to some of the ones from Sailor Moon 1990...
 

NJ_

Quasar
Oct 31, 2009
8,126
1,923
1,665
35
Wallington, NJ
#10
GuerreroLuna said:
- English speakers will have the possibility of watching it with subtitles in their language but...we, Spanish speaking people are 500 million people and we don't know of the existence of a Spanish sub yet, where has that concept of SMC being translated into 10 languages gone?
As mentioned in another thread, Crunchyroll streams in multiple countries depending on how much their license of each show covers and they do sub in other languages. We're still waiting for them to post the list of countries & series page for Crystal but judging by some of their Toei pickups (including most recently with the Saint Seiya Hades Chapter OVAs which is blocked everywhere except in Spanish countries), a Spanish sub stream for Crystal on there looks very likely, we're just waiting for confirmation of that.

I am grateful they are making a new series but seriously I'm starting to think it is only an excuse to sell merchandise (btw we do have merchandising announcements everyday -.-')
And what's wrong with that? Ratings & views don't always matter, it's always about the merchandise because that's where most of the money comes from. If nobody buys the stuff then the show is deemed a failure by both the toy and animation companies. Even high rated shows like Dragon Ball Z Kai (not counting Buu) get dropped in Japan because of bad merchandise sales.
 

HeartWarrior

Solaris Luna
Dec 7, 2009
2,853
260
165
33
Long Island, NY
#11
Reading the subject title of the topic, I was thinking to myself it's kind of true! Other than to the SM fandom, how is this being advertised into the anime fan industry as a whole??
 
Mar 22, 2012
570
1
0
#12
SmallLadySerenity said:
STOP. FREAKING. COMPLAINING.

~ Small Lady Serenity
Why should people be not allowed to air their worries? I want this to all work out well, but I can't help but feel nervous given the way this has all been presented to us. Toei has a track record of treating reboots as third class productions and that does give me reason to not be 100% confident that everything must just be fine.

I don't honestly like the character animation; you can berate me for that if you feel you must, but it does strike me as looking awkward and inexpressive, especially compared to just about any other PV for a recently aired anime production. I do not claim to be an animation professional, but I am able to judge things with my eyes and hold opinions of my own, if you would permit me that ability. There is no need to prematurely judge or make assumptions about other people making premature judgments about a show that is about to be released within a fortnight. I don't like Sailor Moon because it's Sailor Moon, I like it because the people behind it are capable of using it to produce things with exceptional qualities, similar in kind to the stories based around ancient myths. If a production is not capable of meeting those standards, then I will not hesitate to express my opinion of it, not out of any kind of spite, but because I wish to, through criticism, encourage the better qualities and discourage the negative.
 
#13
SmallLadySerenity said:
STOP. FREAKING. COMPLAINING.
I have a few choice words here, but I won't say what I'm actually feeling here, beyond incredible irritation and utter annoyance with seeing posts like yours all over the bloody place.
Please stop acting as of this reboot was being made just for you.

SmallLadySerenity said:
I am just sick of seeing posts like this flying all over the place. You are not an animation expert. Neither am I. But the animation is absolutely gorgeous. And the faces actually are different. What did you want, defining traits like warts or freckles? Did you want super-realism like some anime specialize in?
Clearly hype-bias here. Are you praising it just for existing or are there any actual comparitive qualities you want to notify? Its not as if people hate it for the sake of it, there is skepticsm for changes that dont seem to be on par with higher quality anime productions. People have actually pointed out the issues with the art direction and have compared it to the manga images as well - did you even bother actually looking at what people are saying? Because what youre protesting about isnt it at all. There are actual instances that look rushed and sub-par which from Toei is almost an oppressing quality limiter. A lot of Toei product remakes have just been awfuly disorganized and poorly produced. Something like SM should not be treated like a generic cash-grab it should have been given the quality AOT or Madoka had. Thats what most people feel.

SmallLadySerenity said:
Stop complaining about the colors or the color palette. Stop complaining about the shading. Stop complaining about 'broken ankles/legs' especially when we had poses like Mercury's or Jupiters in the '90's anime. Stop complaining about "proportions" (If you want an anime with real, human-like proportions, I honestly have no clue what to tell you, because most anime is quite highly stylized.) Stop complaining about long legs ---- they had long legs in the original series as well, if you hadn't noticed. Stop complaining about all the tiny, microscopic details you noticed in TWO SCREENSHOTS
...seriously? If flaws like that are this easy to notice than they are obvious lasting issues.

SmallLadySerenity said:
I am SICK of posts like these complaining about so-called "shoddy" animation. What on bloody earth did you WANT?
better animation or these issues/mistakes fixed up. The 90s anime looked superior aesthetically not from nostalgia but with art actually looking professional. As the new anime has been presented, it looks no better than the Precure shows with passible to sub-par animation quality. The new anime is very inconsistant.

SmallLadySerenity said:
Just freaking STOP. I am at my breaking point with these complaints and they just make me incredibly sad because the art is absolutely gorgeous and it is actually quite stunning. These people have worked for TWO YEARS to bring Sailor Moon back to us!
You've already said you arent an animation expert so how is your word definitive? People complaining are at least are showing their grounds for where it specifically is. Where are yours?

SmallLadySerenity said:
And you know something? Even THEN, I am NOT going to make immediate, off-the-cuff, snap judgements that thousands of other people are going to make based on ONE SINGLE episode. I am going to WAIT until we get several episodes in before deciding ANYTHING.
Most likely all the episodes are going to look overall the same and retain the same issues if this is the art direction for it as a whole.

SmallLadySerenity said:
But what I need for people to do, is to give the new anime a CHANCE. 10-15 episodes. Watch it for at least several episodes before you decide you utterly hate it now and forever, before deciding that "your childhood is completely and utterly ruined."
I havent actually seen anyone going that far, most people are going to watch it anyway obviously but have doubts based on the lackluster handling of it which could end up ruining the impressions of the project for a lasting greater scale. The problem is that there are animes out there with medicore production but far far better presentation and direction which is what makes this project feel potentially underdeveloped if not held back. Toei should not have been put on animation for this show if the art looks as cheap as it does. I'm sorry but a lot of the noted seens look terrible like they came straight of MS paint. I dont hate the effort for it, I'm saddened by this limitation.
 

NJ_

Quasar
Oct 31, 2009
8,126
1,923
1,665
35
Wallington, NJ
#14
FatherOuranos said:
People have actually pointed out the issues with the art direction and have compared it to the manga images as well - did you even bother actually looking at what people are saying? Because what youre protesting about isnt it at all. There are actual instances that look rushed and sub-par which from Toei is almost an oppressing quality limiter. A lot of Toei product remakes have just been awfuly disorganized and poorly produced. Something like SM should not be treated like a generic cash-grab it should have been given the quality AOT or Madoka had. Thats what most people feel.
I wouldn't use Attack on Titan to compare with Crystal because that show had it's own share of production issues as well even back to when it was still airing in Japan. With the two new compilation movies being produced now, I would like to think that they would try to fix everything but I'm not holding my breath.
 

NJ_

Quasar
Oct 31, 2009
8,126
1,923
1,665
35
Wallington, NJ
#15
NJ_ said:
GuerreroLuna said:
- English speakers will have the possibility of watching it with subtitles in their language but...we, Spanish speaking people are 500 million people and we don't know of the existence of a Spanish sub yet, where has that concept of SMC being translated into 10 languages gone?
As mentioned in another thread, Crunchyroll streams in multiple countries depending on how much their license of each show covers and they do sub in other languages. We're still waiting for them to post the list of countries & series page for Crystal but judging by some of their Toei pickups (including most recently with the Saint Seiya Hades Chapter OVAs which is blocked everywhere except in Spanish countries), a Spanish sub stream for Crystal on there looks very likely, we're just waiting for confirmation of that.
Now confirmed!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... ming-plans

Sailor Moon Crystal will be available to Crunchyroll’s audience in the following territories: U.S.A, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (Central and South America including Mexico).
Unfortunate for Spain (and the rest of Europe for that matter) but with them covering Latin America, there will be Spanish subs.
 

Caleb

Solaris Luna
Nov 6, 2010
2,517
8
5
26
#16
Welp, off to Hulu then. Either that, or I guess I'll have to go for CR's free premium trial (even though it lasts only 14 days..).
 

NJ_

Quasar
Oct 31, 2009
8,126
1,923
1,665
35
Wallington, NJ
#17

MementoNepenthe

Systema Solare
Mar 8, 2012
5,225
4,793
1,665
underwatersphinx.blogspot.com
#18
So excited! I'll definitely be watching it on CR first now, to avoid ads (hopefully), and then again on Hulu, just to see if there are any subtitle differences. (And then I'll watch it about fifty more times...)
 

Neo King Rose

Usagi's Rose
Staff member
Site Admin
Sep 13, 2008
20,887
609
665
35
in my aesthetic
#19

NJ_

Quasar
Oct 31, 2009
8,126
1,923
1,665
35
Wallington, NJ
#20
Prince Rose said:
NJ_ said:
Caleb said:
Welp, off to Hulu then. Either that, or I guess I'll have to go for CR's free premium trial (even though it lasts only 14 days..).
They fixed it!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... ming-plans

The reboot is set to broadcast every 2 weeks on Saturdays starting on July 5, at 3:00am Pacific Time for its premium and free members.
So regular Crunchyroll members can watch free ?
Yep, only difference is with the ads.